Should a 14 month old still be waking up several times a night wanting to eat?

My son slept the night through at 9 months so I don't know which is normal or both are.
My cousin's son still wakes 2-3 times a night

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 9:46 AM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• After 12 months, there is no need for an overnight bottle, as they don't need the nutritional value anymore. Assign more daytime eating and snacks.
    didavisfl

Answer by didavisfl at 12:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Waking, maybe...but usually they can put themselves back to sleep, or might want *something* as comfort. My kids went to bed with a sippy cup of water at that age in case they woke up. If he's actually waking up *hungry*, I'd look at what (and when) he's actually eating during the day--if dinner is early, its very possible he is hungry in the middle of the night...but its also possible there is something wrong, or its a comfort thing. When my son was 2 he went through a stage where I had to give him a bedtime snack and drink before brushing teeth and going to bed or he would wake up around 3 am wanting a milk sippy (and only a milk sippy would make him happy).
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 9:53 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• He may be going through a growth spurt. Give him a bowl of oatmeal before he goes to bed. It fills up the belly.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 11:43 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Waking up is normal. He most likely doesn't NEED to eat, but finds it as a comfort thing and it is easier for him to go back to sleep with the bottle/nursing/sippy cup. Or he might be going through a growth spurt if he was sleeping better before this.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 10:34 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Each kid is different. Personally, my kids slept through the night at that age except if they were sick or didn't have a nap during the day in which case their sleep was haywire.
    ChicaThis

Answer by ChicaThis at 2:01 PM on Jul. 3, 2011