How can you get someone to accept their kid was diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome

we took care of our nephew for a year and he was diagnosed at 14 with aspergers and we told his dad. i was telling him about these movies for kids with autism.. he was like he does not have it. i said yes he does ask his grandpa they diagnosed him while he was here. he still denies it. why is he in in denial all he thinks is the boy has adhd .

WildCat73

Asked by WildCat73 at 9:50 AM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I watched a family go through the same thing and unfortunatley its the child that suffers because they don't get the care they need. The family I know was brought into school for a meeting and explained that the school felt he had it and even presented them with a plan including special education. What did they do? They pulled him out of school all together and home schooled him, which meant he played video games all day. I know this because they babysit my dd and she told me all he does is play video games. NICE! The mom kept telling me that her relatives kept insisting that something wasn't right with her son and she was so insulted. Finally, they had him tested and sure enough... She said she watched him grow with all the other kids she babysat but it was like they matured and he stayed the same age. I guess I didn't answer your question but i wanted to share my experience. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• It's difficult for a parent to digest that their child has a problem. In time, he'll get it. It took my son's father about a year to finally admit that he had a problem.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:53 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• You can't make someone accept something they aren't ready to. I would just support the child and the parent as best you can. In time the father will come around and if he doesn't there really isn't much you can do to force him to. I think as long as he loves his son and is taking care of him properly then all you can do is stand by them and help them in any way you can.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:04 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I'm having the same problem with my daughter and granddaughter right now. I talked to her the other day about getting her tested. She's showing all the signs. Yesterday she told me that she thought about it and it's just that she doesn't want to listen. I think she's afraid because I kept giving her information on the MMR and how it leads to this and she is afraid I may say that I told her so, plus then she would blame herself. And before anyone gets off on the "in your genes" garbage, she is the only one out of huge families on both sides, so it's impossible to be in the genes. It needs to be treated though. The longer it goes, the harder it is. And she goes to school next year where they will deem her ADD and want her on meds which isn't going to help Aspergers.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 11:29 AM on Jul. 3, 2011