How to get your kids

What are a few ways you can get your kid/kids to eat a little better? Mine seems to be very picky lately and I cannot get him to eat anything we want to eat.. I've been trying to lose weight and eating healthy and I can't get him to do the same things.

lovinmommynwife

Asked by lovinmommynwife at 9:54 AM on Jul. 3, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You offer and he refuses then he goes hungry. He won't starve himself so keep offering and he will eventually eat it or he will go to bed hungry a lot. We have to so this with our toddler. You have to be the parent and put your foot down. Good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:58 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• In my house we have a couple rules..1st you have to try everything on your plate even if it is just one bite. 2nd you have to finish all of one thing, so if we have steak, potatoes and carrots you have to eat all of one on of those. That is not to say you can't finish everything, you can. 3rd, I only make one meal so if you don't like it you are more then welcome to make your own sandwich. Lastly we have a trying plate. When we are trying a new food or at a restaurant we put a little of the food on a separate plate and everyone can try it.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:59 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• When I was little, I hated vegetables. Now that I'm an adult, I have found out that what I hated was the canned taste. Do you feed your children vegetables out of a can? That could be the problem. I also thought that I hated pineapple until I tried it fresh.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 10:40 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I am not sure of the ages of your children. I would suggest some kid friendly healthy recipes where they can help prepare the food. If they are younger children you can try to introduce a fruit or a vegetable to each meal. Giving praise when they atleast try or taste something. My son is 6 and can be picky also however he is atleast willing to try somethings and I find that to be most helpful.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 10:45 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• At my house you eat what is put in front of you. Granted I make sure there is at least one thing on the plate they like... I require at least 2 bites of everything before they can get seconds of what they like. I have been doing this since they were about 3. They will now eat anything! Even Sushi!! Taste change all the time. This is why I ask them to take a bite or two of everything. Beside you can acquire a taste for anything...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:48 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Unfortunately this is something that has to be started really early in life and too many people listen to the stuff the formula into the baby until a year thing the doctors push. Then it's easier to pop some chicken nuggets or hot dogs in the microwave because parents think kids will like it. Then you have to factor in what other kids are eating, the commercials that make vegetables sound like poison because they are always trying to hide vegetables in other foods. My youngest will actually lecture her friends on eating healthy to be healthy. But I always started my children on real food from birth. Fun foods are fine once in a while, but not daily. Do it slowly, give the stuff they like and add something else that you are eating. No seconds or snack unless they eat the good stuff. Tell them that "big kids" eat what is good for them.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Have him help you cook it. When kids are involved in the creation they want it more.
    ashlrenee

Answer by ashlrenee at 4:54 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Kids eat different than adults. For some it is taste. Others it is textures. Also children do not eat big meals at one time. They are more prone to small meals several times a day. IF you make a big deal of it you will set up unhealthy eating habits.

I was anorexic as a teenager. Even tho I got treatment I still battle with it everyday. I was told by an older sibling I was fat. Truth is I wasn't. I wasn't tall, blonde, and willowly like the rest of them. I was short, and had redhair and brown eyes. But her bullying and cruelty gave me a negative body image and I started unhealthy starving at age 11. To this day I have never weighed more than 115. even when pregnant.

My youngest child has a different father than my three older children. His father was an alcholic. So my son is predisposed to both of these things more than the others.

cont
    I_luv_Vera

Answer by I_luv_Vera at 12:59 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I put food on the table, if you chose not to eat, that is fine. But you will not snack between meals on unhealthy foods. I never forced my children to clean their plate. This results in overweight children who grow up to be overweight adults.

serve healthy meals, but also something they like.

Most of all, do not do fast food more than once a month.
    I_luv_Vera

Answer by I_luv_Vera at 1:02 AM on Jul. 7, 2011