Ways to be a calmer parent

What are ways you calm yourself so you don't find yourself always yelling in the house or even yelling at your child?

lovinmommynwife

Asked by lovinmommynwife at 9:56 AM on Jul. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• spending time with my friends away from my children. I find that when I have other moms who understand what I am going through and that I can talk to I come home a better mom. I also take a time out for myself. If I am on edge and starting to yell I will send everyone to their rooms for quiet time. They have to do something quietly like reading, drawing or coloring and I then lay in my bed and read. We usually do this for about 1/2 hour and it seems to work.,

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:01 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I read ScreamFree by Hal Runkle. I wouldn't say that it stopped me from screamimg, but he puts it into a different perspective and I've found that I tend to yell less. (Borrow it from the library.)
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:01 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I find it best to take a deep breath before dealing with a problem. I am a kindergarten teacher so they taught me how to deal with my frustration without screaming. I have a three year old so I need to take a lot of deep breaths at my house.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 10:14 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• deep breaths, count to ten, or make sure the kids are safe and hide in my room or bathroom for a few minutes
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 10:39 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• yeah i agree with the women on here i usually find a quiet spot for a few minutes and try to breathe and count to ten. sometimes if thats not enough i scream as loud as i can into my pillow. silly i know but it really helps on those hard days. And i feel it's better to do that then scream at the kids or hubby.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 11:08 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• if I get that frustrated I move my kids to say our livingroom... I'll make sure they are safe and I can see them, and I'll walk into the other room and just sit down and try to calm myself.. counting to 10, deep breaths help.. and once the kids are in bed for the night on those days I'll take a nice relaxing bath with a glass of wine lol. (doesn't happen a lot but there are some days about once a month where we all can get kinda crabby in this house and we all need our own breaks lol.. )
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:33 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• give yourself time outs when your starting to feel frustrated. I have cookies hidden in the bathroom so I can lock my self in have a treat, and calm down if need be.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:04 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• i hide in the bathroom for a few minutes, i let myself cry or whatever until i'm sure i'm safe to be around the kids again
    RShilling

Answer by RShilling at 6:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2011