How do you politely tell people they ae filthy and stink?

my bil and son are over here. they stink they came over they stunk they have not taken a shower yet and it is Sunday. even where they are staying at , his mom says they stink and the boy don't know how to wash his hair. he is 15. they want to sleep on the couch i told them no. the kids hands are filthy and he keeps trying to touch my almost three month olds face. i told him you do not touch her unless your hands are clean. he rubbed his filthy hair and face against her luckily i was getting ready to bathe her. is there a polite way to say go take a shower?

WildCat73

Asked by WildCat73 at 9:57 AM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Relationships

• there is no polite way other than bluntly.. there are ways to do it though in a loving manner.. vs... an I'm picking on you manner. but really either way is going to come off as a little rude.. eitherway I agree with pp above. hand them a bar of soap and a towel and tell them they need to shower!
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:36 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I'd hand them a towel and a fresh bar of soap and say "here are some fresh towels and soap. After you're done just throw the towel in the hamper and I'll get it." :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:58 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Sense these two are close family. I would just tell them both, you two stink. Guides them to the shower and say. " Take a shower, wash your hair, make sure you use soap".

Answer by louise2 at 10:11 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I do not think there is a polite way to tell them to take a shower. Someone needs to talk to your bil as he is setting the wrong example for his 15 year old. Clearly this is why the 15 year old is doing the same thing. He needs to know this is not okay and he is old enough to change. I agree that maybe your husband can talk to his brother. This is just sad. I am sure you are not the only person who has noticed this.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I have had to talk to employees about this. There really is no polite way. Maybe you can print out some grooming information sheets from the internet and give the sheets to them. Look under Autism since kids with autism often need social stories and such about hygiene.
    momofkids

Answer by momofkids at 10:53 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I don't think that there is any polite way to tell someone they need a bath. Maybe have your DH talk to your BIL and say that they need to be clean before they come over because they are staying in your home and you want them clean. Is the 15 year old mental disabled that he can't seem to understand when you give him simple instructions or is he doing to make you mad?
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 10:08 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• yeah i think that i would have the hygene talk with them and tell them if they are going to be at your house and touching your child they need to be clean and maybe walk into the bathroom start the water and tell them go ahead and when your done i'll wash the clothes and towels for you. i wouldn't stand for this. it gives me the willies just thinking about it.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 11:04 AM on Jul. 3, 2011