Am I the only one who already talks to thier kids about college?

My kids are 3 and 6 and when they ask me about BIG things like can we go to China or when can we buy a horse... I tell them maybe if they do really good in school and go to a good college they can get a really good job and get to do those things. That they have to go to college. Am I the only one who does this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Just for Fun

• No, I've always talked to my kids about the future and college. When my son was five he'd say he wanted to play soccer the rest of his life. We talked about how he could become a proffesional soccer player after college but what if he got hurt. That he should become a teacher/coach, then he could still coach soccer.
    Of course, his goals have changed sense he was five. But we still have plans of college.
    My oldest will be a senior this coming year - she wants to be a lawyer.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 10:40 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• No I have always talked to my children about college as well. I have always been open about what they can do and have always told them to follow their dreams. When my oldest was 10 we took him to his first concert and he said "That looks like a lot of hard work, and I want to do it." I told him it was great that he wanted to be a singer on stage, and that he needed a back up plan because it was a hard industry. Since then he has changed and now wants to be an actor. He is following that dream while staying in school. He will be entering high school in the fall, he goes to a performing acts school which allows him to follow his dream and see other kids that love acting as much as him. He also has a new back up plan..to be a lawyer or an engineer.

I think it is great to talk with your children and be open about everything.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:53 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I talk to my daughter about college like its an expected thing... like going to high school. Its just something you do, not something you decide to do.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:07 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I have talked to him about college since both my husband and I are in school (I am taking a break until hubby finishes up) and my mom works at a college. I have also talked to him about the military, trade school, and things like Job Corps. I want him to follow his dreams. He use to tell me he wanted to be this or that when he grows up. Now he tells me that there are too many jobs that he doesn't know about and he wants to learn about them in college.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:08 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Nope, I always talk to my son about college. We never talk about him NOT going. If you ask him what he's saving his money for, he'll say, "college".
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:24 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Nope. We talk to our two older kids about college all the time. They are 4 and 6. DH was talking to our 4 week old about going to college the other night. :)

We just make it out to be part of life, you go to elementary school, middle school, high school and college. That's just the way it is.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 11:33 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I talk to my 3 year old, but lightly about it.. like when she brings up how excited she is to go to preschool, we talk about schools and how important it is, college included..but that's the extent of it... she's 3, so she's not really going to care much at this point.. most three year olds don't want to hear about the far off future.. the most most of them can handle is up to a week away.. so she knows it's something she's gonna do when she's older, but that's about it, the older she gets the more we will tak about it.
    my youngest (7 month old) obviously no, we are still trying to learn to say hi bye, mommy, sissy, etc.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:00 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• wow, Meooma someone pee in your cheerios this morning?? I was asking because my parents think it is funny my kids talk about how they 'have to go to college first' about everything. They acted like it was unusual that I was talking to my 3 and 5 year old about something so far in the future. If you need help getting off you high horse let me know. I would be happy to loan you a ladder.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:02 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Of course. I talk to my children often about college. It is an expectation. Even if it is just a few courses at a time.
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 4:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• i have spoken to my kids about it and they are still young. i don't think that it's to early for your kids to know what you expect of them education wise.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 4:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2011