For african american women..... i am going natural with my hair. had a bad experience with a perm at the beauty salon.... what are good products for kinky hair??? so when i try to comb through my hair it wont hurt that much....

survivormama10

Asked by survivormama10 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I'm not African American, but I do have thick hair that gets knotty and such. I spent my life having bad hair day after bad hair day. I started using Nexxus Humectress conditioner. It's great. Then I borrowed someone's shampoo and conditioner once. I've used it since. It's Aussie and it's around $3 a bottle. Soft, smooth and no more knots.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 11:01 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I don't have tight curls because I am bi-racial but the products that work good for my hair is Mixed Chicks. Also for Carol's Daughter is really good for natural hair. I have not had any chemicals in my hair for a long time now. Try to comb your hair in the shower so it is easier when wet.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 11:03 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• natural african american hair needs and craves moisture. unlike permed hair, water is your friend. you should wet or wash your hair everyday. when i 1st went natural 1.5 years ago, i kept a water bottle on my bathroom sink to spruce up before leaving the house. another product i swear by is Kinky Kurly Curling Custard. it's top of the line in natural hair care. the girl who gave me the big chop recommended it and i've used it almost daily ever since. also, there is a natural hair care group on here if you haven't joined already. i've recently joined and found it informative.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 11:58 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• honestly, the best thing that works for my daughters hair is to comb it in the shower.. every 3-4 days I shampoo.. but I condition every other day. I'll wet it down.. if it's the day I shampoo I shampoo, then apply conditioner.. I'll let it sit for a minute, then do a quick rinse.. (just enough to rewet, not really to remove the conditioner).. then I comb through. start from the bottom and work your way up in sections.. then rinse the rest out.. it makes it easier to comb when she gets out.. I'll comb when she gets out with a wide tooth comb. I also use a gel like paste product to help add a little shine.. right now I'm using kids organic although I enjoy trying all sorts of products for this.. I didn't care for pink's lotion for shine, or the petroleum jelly like products because imo that's too greasy looking and weighs the hair down,, can be great for thick hair, but my dds in thin and kinky.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:09 PM on Jul. 3, 2011