how do I get my 4 yr old to wipe himself when he uses the bathroom? He always has to have me do it.

Tharrin says that he can't do it. That I have to wipe his butt. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Asked by angeleyes233 at 1:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• at 4, my daughter was still like that as well, she grew out of it pretty quick. Just give it time and maybe let him know that "big boys" do it on thier own. Often times, little children want to be grown up any way they can and this can be an incentive. Just have patience and he will gotw out of it.

Answer by metalmomma25 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• If you can, buy him the "big boy wipes" They are flushable. Maybe get him a potty training movie? Have an older cousin or relative (other then you) take him to the bathroom.

Answer by julieinaz at 3:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• you can always ease into it. my son's fear was that he wouldn't do it right. so have your son wipe the first time then you wipe afterwards to help clean up. but insist that he atleast try it once before you do it. this will make his confidence grow atleast. getting flushable wet wipes makes it so much easier on both of you!

Answer by ibsqueen2004 at 10:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2008