Breastfeeding question? Leaking!!!

Why am I leaking so bad this time?! I have nursed all three of my children, but the leaking this time is ungodly. The differences I have identified are that my new baby is a much better eater than my others...the fact that she cluster feeds at least twice a day and leaves me replenishing that much before she will go a few hours then only nurse normally...and the fact that I have been much better about alternating sides (if that has anything to do with it). Hope any of that info is relevant. And what can I do about it? Or just deal with it and change pads constantly? I SOAK myself. It is embarrassing.

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:13 AM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had the same problem.. i had to pump all the time!! If i were to leave the house i would pump. Then if i was out for an hour i would have to go pump some more. I was contantly changing the pads. i would bring another shirt with me just in case.. I stopped breastfeeding at 5 months with both of my kids bc of that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Oh my gosh. I was like that with my first son. I had to triple pad myself. I found the washable kind or used a wash rag folded up and I would soak that.... This is funny..the first time it happened it was about 3 months after baby was born and his dad took me to a concert. First child totally inexperienced on the breast feeding thing. He left to get drinks. This was a rock concert so there are always very interesting people there. This guy goes strutting past. He was just very interesting looking..I didn't think he was cute or anything. but he was wearing like suede books and tight jeans with a leather vest..no shirt all tan, long black hair...but it made my milk let down. OMG My shirt was soaked and it wouldn't stop!! I was so embarrassed. LOL..

anyway it goes away.

Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:25 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Have you considered pumping the excess and donating the milk? It's the best thing in the world, especially for preemies...

Do you only leak at night? I resorted to just putting a couple of towels under me.
    Mom_to_Skyler

Answer by Mom_to_Skyler at 11:29 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• i never breastfed but like 3 days after birth it was just running like a faucet on trickle it was so bad. i felt like i leaked a gallon a day. i found wearing 2 pads at once helped
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• There probably isn't a reason. You just leak. How old is baby? If she's a newborn, you should be able to expect it to slow down once your supply regulates, but some women just leak a lot.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Yes, she is a newborn. One month old today. She has already gained 2lbs from her birth weight, and I have never had a baby that eats like this LOL. I expected it to start slowing down a week or so ago, since that is how it worked with my other kids, but I swear its getting worse! Yikes. I guess I don't have much of a choice BUT to wait it out and try to stay dry LOL
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• It will PROBABLY slow down in the next few weeks, though some women leak longer. Once your body gets more in tune with the needs of your baby, it should slow down or stop. Are you pumping on the side? If you are, and you're only pumping to have extra, stop, at least for now.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:48 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I'd also recommend that you stop pumping at this point unless you have a true need for it...by pumping you're telling your body to produce more milk than your baby can actually use, and your body is now overproducing...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 11:56 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I haven't been pumping. The last thing I want to do is encourage oversupply LOL.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 1:17 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Then just go ahead and nurse on demand, your supply will stabilize.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:26 PM on Jul. 4, 2011