can I use a smaller needle with my progestrone infections/

I am on the tailend of my fertility meds and I am really tired of needles, I would like to know if I can use a smaller needle to inject my progestone rather than the
25 1/2 gauge????

fairchild73

Asked by fairchild73 at 10:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• a 25 gauge is really small (its the size we use on newborns.....its the smallest we can use to draw blood - any smaller and it would break the blood cells) so I'm sorry but I doubt it.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:32 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Smaller needles do not equal less pain. 25 gauge is TINY. I have(as a medic) given and recieved injections with a 14 gauge needle it isn't that bad and it passes quickly. I seriously doubt you can go smaller. Tough it out becsuse L&D is much worse than a little prick. I know you're tired of the needles, but it will pass.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 12:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Because the progesterone is so thick, I don't think you'd be able to inject it with a smaller needle. I'm pretty sure I used a bigger needle (18 gauge I think) when I was doing progesterone shots, but I totally understand what it's like to just be tired of needles. Towards the end of every cycle I felt like I just couldn't do it any more. I had to take daily progesterone shots until I was 11 1/2 weeks with the twins, and I had done injectible meds (2 shots in the stomach twice a day) to get pregnant. Best of luck to you.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2008