Ever heard of a company called...

H.F.I. Research and Services?

I got a letter in the mail from them today asking if I was interested in being a mystery shopper, but when I put them in google search I can't find them....

CarolynBarnett

Asked by CarolynBarnett at 10:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Money & Work

• I wouldn't trust anything you get randomly in the mail! And if you cant find any info on them it is probably too good to be true. DO NOT send them any money!!!
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 10:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• To me that would be a big red flag. No hurt in contacting them, but if they tell you you must pay a start up fee, say no way!
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 10:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• No, they aren't asking for money....well, not from me at least....they included a check for a good amount of money....they want me to go to a store (sears, K-mart or Walmart) and spend "X" amount, and then they want me to go to a Western Union and transfer "X" amount to them....supposedly to review the customer service and what not....

Now that I have written that out, it just sounds like a scam.....*sigh* thats too bad
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:35 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Be careful and leery of this. I recently read something on a news website that with the economy in the shape it is and people desperate for employment, that shady people and business are coming out of the woodwork. This was one of the 'beware of' things, not this company, but secret shopping groups.
    Anonymous

• Where is the "x" amount to be sent to them supposed to be coming from? That doesn't make sense. And they randomly sent you money? Are you supposed to add this money to your own banking account, then send them something that might have your personal information on it? Never ever ever release any of your banking info, nor your own name, birthdate, etc, unless you know these people, they are sitting in a reputable office and have been around for a loooong time. Never even do a hire online.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• It is a check for $3890.00 that I am supposed to cash to use for the secret shopping and then take to Western Union and transfer....although, now that I re-read the letter, it doesn't say WHERE to transfer the money too....
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:18 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• If all else fails call BBB in your area, they can help you out.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 11:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Still, transfer what? The same amount you use to shop with? So you are to shop using $3K and then give them the $3K back? First of all, it can't be legit, namely b/c a reputable company or any person alive hands out legit money to someone who hasn't accepted and applied for a job. Business just isn't handled that way. You say the letter say "would you like to be a mystery shopper" not this is your first assignment. That's the red flag for me. I
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I would not under any circumstance cash that check. It will bounce and you will be responsible for it! I have heard of this a million times! I would also contact the BBB and see what they have to say about it. Please do not cash it!!!
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 11:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• continued.... know you are sooo tempted, but this sounds just like the idiots who think that we are soo stupid here in America that they send emails saying that their long lost brother died in Africa and left them $45 million dollars if only someone in the US would give THEM their bank account info so that they could "deposit" the $45 mil. RIGHT!! Are we stupid or what? So who does this? The woman who supposedly killed her daughter in FL, Callie or something? Her father did it and lost thousands. What a boob! LOL And this man was a policeman. Just believe me, this is just a scam. Sorry. BUT, should you discover its real, you can send me half of it, and i'll send you $45 million!!! HAHAHA!!
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2008