So just said he'll burn his 10% tithe

as his way of giving to God as opposed to giving it to people at the church. He said giving it to other people is not giving it to God! So anyone have words to defend that? Comments? He sort of has a good point

lizzybee44

Asked by lizzybee44 at 12:25 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• G-d is an omnipotent being, he doesn't need or wants our money. What he does want, though is that we acknowledge the fact that He's given us that money, that He blessed us with an economic blessing so that we could use it in a positive way. And helping those in need is using our money in a positive way.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• For a long time, we gave our tithing to the local food bank instead of a church. God said "feed my sheep, if you love me". We were blessed and it was a good feeling knowing that money went to feeding the hungry.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:44 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I think the guilt that some pastors cause with this tithing is awful. There was a time I didn't go to church if I didn't have any money to put in the collection plate. Then for a while I was going to a church that they were telling us that we would go to hell if we didn't give 10%. I walked out the door crying. We were so strapped with money, I spent $25 a week on food for 3 of us. Not just food, but that included toilet paper and such. A woman there told me that if you give the 10% God will bless you. I asked if food would just appear on my doorstep. The power company doesn't care if you tithed, they want their money. Her answer was to go and ask churches for food and such. I don't speak to her anymore. I help out where I can and when I can. The pastor will never go without lights or food.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 12:48 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• He has a point.... You don't really have to tithe to the church. What about donating time and money to a chraity of choice instead? I don't give money to the church unless it is for something very specific that I support. I give my time and talent to the church. They need that just as much as money.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:49 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Now that I read the replies, I realize I forgot to add. Bear in mind that I'm speaking here from a Jewish perspective, but he doesn't have to give his tithe to the church. We can give our money to any type or organization we deem worthy. DH and I give our money to educational institutions and to an orphanage in Jerusalem.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 12:55 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I'm not christian, so tithing doesn't really affect me but I do have to admit that people tithing to a church makes me uncomfortable. I really like JackieGirl007's solution though. Cut out the middle man and give directly to a charity.
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 1:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I say more power to him if he thinks that is giving to God. i would be interested in knowing how he thinks burning is giving.

We do give to the church. Our youngest girls made their First Holy Communion last month. the church provided the teachers and materials. We just sat in an air conditioned building, had books, a sound system, pews that are in good repair and bulletins for the announcements. I have no problem helping the church provide these materials. we could have a perfectly fine Mass right outside without all the things. I prefer to sit on a pew, kneel on a kneeller and sing with a book and therefore, provide money for these materials.

We also give to organizations and volunteer our time. I do not think I have read out 10% should go to St. Peter's Catholic Church, we can give how we feel is best. Helping His people is giving to HIM. IMO
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 2:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Actually he is wrong.. when you give , it honors your leadership and blesses everyone in the church. It also honors God so yes you are giving to Him.. its all about honor.
    That attitude he has is dishonoring. Its the same attitude Cain had.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:49 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• We don't have tithing rules in my church. But, we are expected to be honorable and responsible with our giving, whether it be Catholic Charities or some other Catholic organization, in addition to our regular offering to our church
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 3:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• In my church there are no paid clergy men, preachers, pastors or teachers or even janitors or groundskeepers etc. All time put in the church by everyone is volunteer. Even at the highest levels of office. Our tithing goes straight to helping people, building temples, buidling more churches, the building maintenance, and a very small amt to church activities. We tithe to show our devotion to God and so that His work may go on.
    Taterstots3

Answer by Taterstots3 at 7:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2011