Are santa pictures copyrighted??

I took my kids to the mall for pictures with Santa last year and this year. Last year I called walgreens before I tried to print out more (with some tweeks I made to it) and they said there is an "implied" copywright. I have never heard of that. So this year they screwed up the pictures and I had to take them home and do some real work to them. I bought it b/c it's my sons first christmas and I don't think I would have gotten on Santas lap again. Anyway I printed one out and the laduy at walgreens asked for a release. I told it wasn't copywrited. Is it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Holidays

• I'm so sorry that you went through this!! We have to have release forms OR the photographer in questions has to have been out of business for at least 100 years, or the pic be at least 100 years old. I once had to turn down an elderly lady trying to print pictures of her sister who had just died. She was trying to make a collage of their life together to put on the grave.... I hated having to tell them no. Honestly if you can scan the image onto your comp and print it out you can just say that you printed the pic yourself (which you did). Then scan it onto the kiosk at walgreens and get all the prints you want. The thing we look for is the "DO NOT DUPLICATE" icons on the back of the pictures. Hope I helped!!
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 4:44 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I don't know but try going somewhere else to get it printed or if its on your computer go to snapfish.com. It cost .9 cents to get a picture printed then you can either have them send it to you of pick it up at walgreens. Shipping is pretty reasonable and they're quick. good luck
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 10:46 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• actually if you took the photo with your camera, it's copyright to you.

if it was taken by someone else, such as the photographer they have at the mall, it is copyright to them.

flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 10:53 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• find someone with a scanner, and get it scanned. it may turn out a little fuzzy, but wth? copyrighted photos are legally owned by the photographer/studio.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 12:11 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Yes, they are copyrighted. But I know where we take our kids to see Santa, as long as you are buying one of their pictures, you can use your own camera to take pictures too. Just something to think about if you want to have multiple copies of the picture without paying the outrageous fees.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 12:31 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• If someone else took the picture then all rights to that picture belongs to the photographer. You have to have their permission to copy it. Stores like Walgreens can be and have been sued for people printing pictures without the photographers permission, which is why you have to get a release signed by the photographer.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• LOL I worked at the walgreens photo dept for almost a year. We consider them copyrighted. They are in our eyes "professional". Our corporate offices get copies of EVERY order we process in our computers WITH the images attached. If they see that we've printed any copyrighted or seemingly copyrighted images they look for the release form you mentioned. It's a liability on our part because if they original photographer was to find out we could face some major lawsuits against us. The release form just states that you have permission or are the original photographer and if any professional photographer were to stake a claim on your pictures it's YOU they would sue instead of the store.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 4:42 AM on Dec. 17, 2008