My baby is 7 weeks old and all my familyis planning on going to the beach, we live in texas so its really hot, would my baby be ok if were sitting under a tent or should we just stay home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's a tough one. If you decide to go, make sure that the baby is in the shade, for sure. Also, when walking without shade, I'd out a hat and/or sunglasses on him/her, as well as sunscreen. Then, just keep a really close eye on the baby and if he/she seems like they're getting too hot, get them inside somewhere cool asap.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Personally, I wouldn't go, that's too much heat for a baby to endure, even under a tent, it will still be too hot. I would either find a sitter (and I say at this age, a family member), or forego the trip this time. The beach is nice, but the health of your baby is more important.

My son used to have a sitter, his first, and she would sit outside all day with the other kids she watched. I understood that they were older and they needed their outside time, but it was too much for an infant. I really was not happy with her for doing it and ignoring my requests to stop. One of the reasons why we chose to remove him from her care.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Your insticts are right Momma, your booboo isn't ready for the beach yet.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 1:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I would say as long as your baby is in the shade with lots of sunscreen, and no more than a couple of hours he should be fine

Answer by older at 1:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I would not go. To easy for a baby that young to over heat.

Answer by louise2 at 2:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• 7 weeks old no...they arne' even suppose to wear sunscreen until 6 months old.. and shaded or not it's probably not the best environment.. you can't really help keep them cool like you could a baby that was older.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Probably just stay home, People have been asking me to take my 7 week old to the beach as well and even with a umbrella covering her, It just doesnt seem like it would be a good idea..And even more so in your case since texas gets super duper hot! :) You guys just stay cool in your place, but not too cool :)
    Proudnewmommy11

Answer by Proudnewmommy11 at 1:07 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I would probably go, and just limit our exposure to the sun.

Is there any way to go earlier in the morning or later in the afternoon to avoid the mid day sun and heat?
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 11:52 AM on Jul. 4, 2011