I haven't worked in 4 years almost 5. What should I do or don't do to get back into the work force?

Wiccanmomma2010

Asked by Wiccanmomma2010 at 1:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• How about volunteering and internships and working your way up from there that is how I got the job I have now.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Thank you.
    Wiccanmomma2010

Comment by Wiccanmomma2010 (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Stay at home moms have lots of skills that employers value! Skills such as time management, logistics, finance, management, etc. Additionally, you probably have done some great volunteer work and may have had part time or even consulting positions while you were home.
    Start with a great resume; update (or create) a Linkedin profile; let everyone you know that you are looking for a new position. How are your skills? You may want to take a couple of classes at a community college, like Microsoft office (at least Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and a basic bookkeeping class.
    There are lots of great tips in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837

Answer by rkoloms at 2:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• What did you used to do? We SAHM have a lot of great skills that employers would love to have!!! We are organized, know how to multi-task etc...What about your own business? I have a home based business that allows me to make money and get around amazing women and it fits into MY life. I schedule it around the kid's activities etc...message me if you would like more information about what I do.
    Put together a resume and the volunteering is a GREAT idea as well. Get your foot in the door!!fingers crossed

mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 12:37 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Direct Sales is a great way to get back into the workforce without having to prove to someone that you're ready to do so. No one has to "hire" you, you decide which company to go with and start your own business. You get lots of experience in customer service and running a business, and you also have great opportunities for training. Check out The Direct Selling Association (www.dsa.org) and The Direct Selling Education Foundation (www.dsef.org) for great resources.
    NooraK

Answer by NooraK at 4:57 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Have you looked into working from home? Check out Beyond Mothers at www.beyondmothers.com to search for Jobs and view Work at Home opportunities.
    Singlemomma555

Answer by Singlemomma555 at 7:01 PM on Jul. 9, 2011