Should parents allow or watch movies with nudity/sex with their teen boys?

Is it just me? I feel very awkward and sometimes disgusted when watching movies with my teen(14 & 15 yrs old) boys that end up showing nudity & sex or display & degrade young girls in a sexual manner. Most recent display of nudity/sex: Hot Tub Time Machine......not a family movie for us! I am hearing around the block that a lot of other parents allow the boys (teens 12 yrs-15 yrs old) to watch whatever they want in their homes as long it's not porn of course. Am I a prude or what?

Indakitchen

Asked by Indakitchen at 1:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• it depends...if it is something tasteful and not downgrading....limited nudity and the boys maturity level....like hot tub time machine, that's a no, something like blue lagoon, yes.......nudity isn't something you should hide from your child but racey sex scene are something their minds are not ready for.....they need to be show that making love is a good and special part of life but to bunny hop from bed to bed isn't good nor special in anyway......but yes, watch it with them or watch it first before you say okay......afterward leave the door open for discussion about what they saw and what they think....yes, you will get the "aw, mom" or do we have too but educationing our child on sex is our responsibly and their understanding of relationships helps them develop into kind and caring young men.......
    southernlady184

Answer by southernlady184 at 2:03 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Depends on the movie because not all nude scenes are trashy and uncomfortable.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I guess it depends on how your family dynamic is set up. For me we are an open family and talk about everything. So we watch lots of movies and we usually talk about what is going on and what we think about them. We have never watch "Hot Tub Time Machine." although we have watched things like "Step Brothers." I understand that it is awkward and I am sure it is just as awkward from them as it is for you. One thing we do is sometimes we watch a movie before we let them watch it. One time we tried to watch "Funny People" and after about 5 min we shut it off because it is not appropriate for them. We just watched "Paul", which some people might not think is okay because they use lots of swears, although it was very funny my kids loved it.

So I guess it really does depend on your family. For me I would rather watch the movie with them & talk about instead of them watching it with their friends & having questions.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 2:18 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I agree - nude scenes are not family friendly. My kids don't watch inappropriate movies, there will be plenty of time for that when they are adults.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I will not censor nudity or sex to my son. Violence is harmful but sex is not.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 3:55 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I agree with Kit.
    Too much graphic sex----R Rated moves are not appropriate BUT....nudity is far less damaging than Violence, bloody scenes of murder, war scenes, criminal activities ....SO much more damaging. I don't want to watch violence, my kids were not allowed either. Its sick.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 4:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Hahahah...someone told my sister that Hot Tub Time Machine didn't have sex/nudity in it and she watched it with my nephew. She was HORRIFIED!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:56 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Well, the definition of "porn" has become more and more watered down, and no, I would not allow my young adult son or daughter to watch things like that. And personally, I feel that nudity and sex are far more damaging to a young man then watching violence (most of the time) because those things capture your heart. If a young man learns that woman are mainly for his sexual gratification, he will make many decisions based on this assumption. A healthy image of sex and women are important, and can actually prevent violence.
    squish

Answer by squish at 8:03 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I don't see an issue with it... They are just movies, not porn... My kids can, and do, watch what they choose, and so do we. If they wanted to watch something like that with us, they could. It's not a big deal... Plus, I would rather they watch it with us than sneak it behind our backs.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:36 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• First, thank you for watching it with them. At least they can ask questions if they have them and not form inappropriate ideas on their own. My mothers only rule about movies was that I could watch anything I wanted, I just had to watch it with her. Second, if it'd awkward for you, just imagine what they feel like. Good time for a talk about the situation.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 10:45 PM on Jul. 3, 2011