Can someone give me a rough estimate of how much it would cost to carpet a 3 bedroom 1100 sq ft house, 5 rooms to carpet wall to wall, not my house, more details inside, torn between 2 houses while house shopping

i'm house hunting. my budget is under 250,000. i do not like hardwood floors, some people do, some consider it a luxury, but i don't. now there are 2 houses. 1 is $159,000 and is ALL hardwood floors, the other is 249,000, fully furnished and wall to wall carpeting. i guess i'm trying to figure which would be the better buy, i'd have to pay and furnish the less expensive house, option b has everything i want already there, but if it would cost less to buy the less expensive house and do it myself then i'd do that, how much would i be looking at for furnishing and carpeting, which is the better buy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Home & Garden

• What do you mean by furnishing? Will you need cabinets or to finish a basement? If so I would call around for estimates. As far as carpeting goes, it all depends on what type of carpet and where you are at? I live in the carpet capital of the world as carpet for ne would cost much less than someone who lives in Washington State. However, I seriously doubt it would cost $90,000 for carpet and furnishings unless you have an expensive taste.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:49 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• You don't pick as house based on aesthetics that can be changed....like paint, flooring, lighting fixtures. Look at the neighborhood, schools, resalability of the house, etc.   To answer the question though I would think you could carpet the whole house for under $5K

Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 1:49 PM on Jul. 3, 2011