How did you teach your child to drink from a sippy cup?

My son can't figure out that he needs to tip it up to drink. He's never had a bottle either, so the concept is a little foreign to him. I don't want to give him the ones with straws because the daycare he will be attending doesn't allow them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I put my daughter in the high chair and showed her how to hold and it how to tip it and get something out of it. She had never had a bottle either and now just a few weeks later she is a pro. My oldest had no concept and did not even get that she needed to suck to get the water out, so for her we did not even put the valve in until she got the concept a little.
    bebcarroll

Answer by bebcarroll at 8:20 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• hmm idk he just did i got one of those nuk soft tips its very simular feel to a bottle and easy for them to transfer to
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I had other toddlers who drank from sippy cups so I think the next ones in line just learned by watching one by one. Also, use a style of sippy that is easier to suck from. = I would probably start off with a cup that is considered disposable and doesn't have a stopper underneath the lid.
    ChicaThis

Answer by ChicaThis at 1:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I put water in his bottle and juice/ choc.milk in his sippy. He takes his sippy alll day and his bottle for bed/nap time. If your child likes water put something he/she doesnt like in it. Hope this helps.
    HappyMomma2832

Answer by HappyMomma2832 at 2:32 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• on both of my boys 1st b-days i just put all the bottles out of sight and started them using the sippys w/ the silicon nipples, it is still soft and comfortable and the transition was really easy
    CarVan

Answer by CarVan at 3:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• He's never had a bottle, so he doesn't understand the idea of tipping up the sippy. I can't just throw away my breasts lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2011