Thank You for clothes ... what's appropriate??

A grandma who I work with gave me three big bags full of boy clothes that her daughter was done using on her son ... I asked what she wanted for all of it and she said "oh nothing, she just always gives away his clothes after he grows out of them". Most of the stuff is in good shape, and a lot of the brands are cheaper brands (though I'm still way appreciative of everything!!). I am going to give her a thank you card to pass on to her daughter, but would you also give a gift certificate to someplace for her or something? How much would you do? Thanks for your input!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think a thank you card and a gift certificate is a wonderful idea. We always pass on clothes that are still in good condition, so when someone is able to gift us back with something, its always a blessing.

too bad you don't know the mom, cuz maybe you could give her a gift card so she can get a treat for herself. Most moms I know don't treat themselves unless someone does it for them. I frequently do gift cards to jamba juice, everyone loves jamba juice.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:03 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I would just tell her "thank you" and that would be it.

Answer by louise2 at 2:05 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• That's a great idea. i'd say both Thank you card & a gift card, like $20. - $30.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 2:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• A thank you card would be sweet but really when I pass along my kids clothes to others I am totally not expecting a thank you and certainly not a thank you gift. Very thoughtful of you:)
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 2:54 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• A card would be nice. A gift card would be super nice but not necessary. What about one for about $25 for a salon, or pedicure. Or maybe just the movies so that she and her DH can get a break!
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 3:38 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• if you want to give her a gift card, but dont know where...get a visa gift card so she can use it where she wants to.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 3:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• A small gift card might be nice or even some homemade cookies with the thank you note
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 5:26 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• About 3years ago my MIL brought over 3 boxes full of clothes for my DD that she recieved from someone she works with... Very nice adorable clothes that had about 3 sizes (about 2yrs worth of clothes) in them.. Awesome. Great shape...

I got the ladies address from MIL & just sent a thank you note to her.. Just that goes a long way. They are not expecting anything- even a letter in return..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• A thank you card is more than sufficient. She is not looking to profit from giving you the clothing. I always give my daughters things that she outgrew to a little girl that just loves them. And a thank you is all I ever expect.
    BrendaW.

Answer by BrendaW. at 2:14 AM on Jul. 7, 2011