Periods, birth control, 19 yr old

I have a 19 yr old daughter, who will be a sophomore in college in August. She has a on again, off again boyfriend of 5 yrs. Hopefully off for good when they will be 5 hrs apart in different colleges soon. She was on 4 different types of birth control between the ages of 15-17 for acne. She has side effects to all of them and can't take them. She insists she is not having intercourse, but they are sexual in other ways. We are barely able to pay for the private college she is attending and so it worries me greatly that she is not on some sort of reliable birth control, no matter what she tells me. I would hate to see her not finish college and her bf is pretty much a "loser" ie: doesn't work, parties all the time, flunked classes in college etc. I asked her yesterday carefully if she has had a period lately because I have not heard her complain of cramps or pms which she always suffers from. She said her last one was in early May! I was horrified and said she needs to test herself for pregnancy. She told me not to worry about it, no way she could be pregnant. I am upset. Thoughts anyone???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• She is 19, a grown adult, legaly. He problem not yours if she is pregnant. JMO

Answer by louise2 at 2:01 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• she could be pregnant or just could be stress thats holdin her period up it happen to me before n my mother swore i was pregnant n i was still a virgin at the time
    Whitea907

Answer by Whitea907 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Sorry, but honestly as she is 19 years old, it isn't your business. Sometimes we have to learn to let go as parents. It could be as simple as stress of going away to school causing her to skip her cycle.

You either trust your daughter or you don't. Either way, it is now her life.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:06 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Meant,, The problem is not yours.

Answer by louise2 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• The best thing you can do is be there for her. She is old enough to make her own decisions although she is going to need you no matter what. I understand how disappointed you will be if she is pregnant although if she is you can't change that. The best you can do is support her and help her with whatever decision she makes. Besides you aren't even sure if she is pregnant at this time.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 2:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I can relate.My 19 yr old stepdaughter who lives with us, so she can go to colledge.And I totally support that.But she is not on any birthcontrol either.She has a steady guy for 2 years now.She swears nothing is happening.(yeah right).I just keep telling her that they need to take care of their business.And if she wants, I will get if for her.So far she has not taken me up on my offer.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 3:35 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• That's a tough one. Hopefully shfe's at least responsible enough to insist her bf to wear a condom. I agree with the others that at 19 they're considered to be an adult, but technically she's still a child in my opinion. GL
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 4:08 AM on Jul. 5, 2011