Helping a friend lose weight when they have a bad attitude do you or leave it alone?

pinkdragon36

Asked by pinkdragon36 at 2:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• It'll only rub off on you so walk away
    Tess929

Answer by Tess929 at 11:45 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I'd leave it alone. You can only help those who want to help themselves.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 2:31 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I'd leave it alone. You can only help those who want to help themselves. "

This, exactly. In order to lose weight, someone has to really want to do it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:38 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I stay out of it. One friend got so bad and negative that I just quit talking to her completely. I tried but she just always had an excuse about everything and never even tried. So it seems.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 3:04 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Unless they specifically come to me for help I leave it alone. If they have a bad attitude after they ask for my help, I leave it alone. I don't have time for it!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 3:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I'd be there when they are ready to lose weight- and/or if they want to talk about their attitude- but other than that I think I'd leave it aone.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Leave it alone. I'd be supportive, but losing weight is kind of like quitting smoking: you have to want to do it.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 10:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• If the person has a bad attitude, you should ask why they have one. It might be the way you approached them. Just because our country is currently in a healthy fad doesn't mean everyone is following it. Some people are happy with themselves being overweight and don't see a point to change. There are so many health risks with being overweight it's scary, have you tried printing out information of the BMI chart (by this, most people are overweight) and then risks of being overweight? Don't use YOU when approaching this person to talk about this issue, use I. "I am concerned about your overall health." Not... "You're overweight and need to loose it, I will help." Hope this helps!
    supermama86

Answer by supermama86 at 2:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Hmm.. touchy situation. Depends on how close you guys are. If you are super close.. maybe you can talk to them about their feelings.. maybe it's a fear that losing weight will somehow make them face other things in their life (ie. not being liked, not liking other things about themselves). Or maybe they are afraid that exercise will hurt them... or maybe food is their comfort and they're afraid they will have to give up all their favorites... who knows. It's a tough place to be in, when you care about someone and want to help.. and they aren't ready. best of luck!
    AudraMorgan

Answer by AudraMorgan at 9:27 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• this is a tough situation to be in I know you are trying to be helpful and all but if they have a bad attitude then you can either approach them and ask them what is with the attitude but expect more attitude with the comeback or you can just leave it alone and just be supportive with their weight loss. Be there for them and if they ask for help then I would give it. Like I said I'd leave it alone. You can only help those who want to help themselves
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 4, 2011