Do you feel like you are over protective as a first time mom?

Amanda11810

Asked by Amanda11810 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• Sometimes. Usually I'm not OVER-protective, just protective.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:36 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• i'm still pregnant and i feel really protective over my baby
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 2:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I never was....I don't want to put my baby in a bubble. No point. Life is full of risks. Just do the best you can and it can really turn into something bad when you stop trusting your relatives cuz you are being over protective. Then the relatives feel bad when they can't spend time with the baby. know what I mean?
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:43 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• My SO is the definition of over-protective. I used to nanny many kids before our first child, so I am just normal protective I think. lol
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 2:48 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• When my first was a newborn, I was sooooooooo overprotective...

rolling on floor

When it was time for him to get vaccinated...

...I asked if the doctor could give me the shot, and have it pass to my baby through the breast milk. Yeah. I really did.

Anonymous

• Nope. I've watched kids on a pretty regular basis. I'm used to it all.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 3:06 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Not really. I am rather proud of my adventurous child. I laugh in excitement as he rock climbs and zip lines down from way up. In his four years I have pushed myself to trust his ability in all things. Nervous at times....but I won't allow myself to be overly sensitive in most circumstances.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Hell yes! Lol!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 6:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• ok lol i am a mother of four and im still over protective in todays society you cant be protective enough but yes its worse when your a new mom good luck and im glad to hear of other moms caring enough to be protective
    starlia34

Answer by starlia34 at 8:02 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I wasn't with my first. I was very laid back. I now have 5 kids. I believe in benign neglect. Unless my kids actively need me for something ( get a bottle, change a diaper, kiss a boo-boo) they are left to entertain themselves. They come to me when they need attention which is definitely not every second of every day like the moms I meet online imply their kids need. Right now my 11yo is watching TV in the other room with the 5yo. My 9yo is killing a bee that got in the house (I'm allergic). The 8yo road her new bike over to her friend's house on the next block. And the baby (almost 1) is outside on the back patio playing with some cars. He loves to be outside and would spend all day out there. Luckily I can see him through the patio door.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:51 PM on Jul. 3, 2011