Questions about Bullying

Were you ever victim of bullying when you were in school, or did you bully someone, and why did it happen? If you bullied someone, did you ever apologize or do you wish you could find that person now and apologize? What have you taught your kids about bullying?

maggiebgood

Asked by maggiebgood at 3:00 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• I didn't get bullied nor did I bully throughout school, I am lucky. I was nice to everyone, but I grew up in a small town where everyone knew and grew up with each other. Bullying did happen when I was younger, but it was mostly the kids with divorced parents. My 5yo gets bullied by a 14yo that lives in my apartment building, I've talked to his parents and now I see why he is so mean. I've started teaching my daughter that she should start ignoring the kids that hurt her feelings, and it is not alright to be mean back. I wrote a paper in my English 304 class about bullying then and now, and with the research I dug up, I almost cried with how bad it is today.

Too many parents shrug off their child's behavior as, "being a kid." when that isn't the case at all. What about you?
    supermama86

Answer by supermama86 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• i was bullied in high schooll over a lot of different things and the people that have done it have in a way apologized for it and in fact i am friends with some of them now. I think time and maturity can really change a person. Not always the case b/c some people still deny they did anything wrong to me, but this has changed how i approached things with my kids. i always make sure that my kids don't do this to other people and i spend alot of time at school and at their school functions. This is something that can change the course of a persons life so i do everything that i can to make sure that my kids aren't victoms or the bullier.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 3:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Yes, I was bullied in grade school and I cant even remember the reason why. I do remember how helpless and lonley it made me feel. I always take up for the underdog now. I have taught my child to always to do the same. When she was a junior in highschool and on the basketball team, the older girls were very mean to a certain freshman on the team. My daughter took her under her wing and defended her. I had her parents tell my husband and I how much they thought of my daughter for doing that. The freshman became one of the best on the team and my daughter and her are still friends to this day.
    maggiebgood

Comment by maggiebgood (original poster) at 3:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I was horribly bullied. I was a prodigy in languages and learned french very quickly. In kindergarten I was reading The lord of the rings. By third grade I'd reached university level. The other kids didn't understand the words I used when i spoke and they believed I was mocking them... I wasn't at all. I was also bullied for not being christian but an atheist.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 3:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• A former friend started a fight with me once and even punched me in the face, but I was the one who got suspended. Why? Her four friends all said I started the fight, which wasn't true. The girl was a bully and she manipulated her friends into lying for her. I never forgot it, she never apologized. I was so traumatized by the whole thing, I wasn't sure what really happened. I knew I wasn't lying, but her friends insisted I was. On my high school graduation day, I cornered one of her friends to find out the truth and she confessed that they all lied.

It was really funny when she found me on Facebook a year ago and wanted to be Facebook friends. I'm not into grudges, so I accepted her friend request. I would still feel a **whole lot** better if she would send me a message with an apology! Meanwhile, I just ignore her posts...
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 4:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• No I never encountered it
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 11:32 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I didnt' get "bullies" really. I got picked on, it happens t everyone at one point. sometimes it was very painfull emotionally. But I prevailed lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:34 AM on Jul. 4, 2011