how long do you let a 9 month old cry ?

she will not sleep in her own bed or the other bed we have tried to put her in she gets rocked to sleep then placed in bed ( we have tried all types of things) but when she wakes up she screams her head off until one of us gets her up what do i need to do

Lexysmom3408

Asked by Lexysmom3408 at 11:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pick up the baby. And then go pick up a copy of "the No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley.

My asnwer to your question: only as long as it takes for me to get to the baby. CIO doesn't work!

Answer by gdiamante at 11:06 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• How long will you let your baby cry for before you pick her up? I wouldn't go longer than 30 minutes, if she's still crying...she's either thirsty, hungry has a wet/poop diaper or is teething and she's in pain. Also, if she's always screaming and crying when she wakes up could also be night terrors. Ask your pediatrician, he/she knows your baby better than we do...plus, it's up to you, whatever you feel is the "right" thing to do. If you want to leave your baby in the crib for longer, then try it...if you feed her, change her, give her tylenol or teething tablets and she is still crying...I would ask the doctor for sure. Good luck. Hope all is OK.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 11:09 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Just long enough for me to quickly walk over and pick them up. Less than 2 minutes generally. I second the No Cry SLeep SOlution. It has really worked well for me.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:10 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• My daughter's pediatrician told us to let her cry it out, which is easier said than done at first. We were told that she cries because she knows we'll come to her. We've been putting her to bed at 9PM every night...I nurse her first and if she doesn't fall asleep, I put her in her crib. We've been doing this for about 4 1/2 weeks now and when she cries, it's only for 2 minutes. We can tell the difference between her cries, too, though.
    lebrbria

Answer by lebrbria at 11:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• my son is 9 months old and i'll let him cry for about 15 mins if i know that he's fed, changed, etc. i let my first son cry ift out and i've done it with my 2nd so far and both are really good sleepers. i can tell from his cry if he's just upset or if he needs something. so, of course, if he needs something, i attend to him right away. but when it comes to letting him fall asleep on his own, i've let him cry up to 20 mins maybe.
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 11:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• i would let her cry for five minute go in lay her back down then another ten lay her back down, ect... if they know you will always come back in they will always cry when you lay them down. It will not hurt them. After one night of the ten minute then increase it to 12 and so on i would do it over a long weekend.
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 11:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• CIO is dangerous!! Comfort and soothe your baby-that's how they build trust and become independent. If they are crying, they need you-this is how they communicate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I had the same problem with my daughter, what i did was lay her in bed, (she will cry) wait 3-5 minutes and go in there tell her you love her and she needs to go to bed, then tuck her back in and leave, she will cry still, wait 5-8 minutes, go in and repeat, keep doing this, until she falls asleep, she will know that your not far away but also know that she isn't gonna be taken out of her crib, trust me, it works, my daughter never lasted past 10 minutes, and it usually works in the first few days, my daughter goes right to sleep when i put her down now : )
    hope i could be of confort and advice, my daughter is 10 months
    Trinity32188

Answer by Trinity32188 at 12:46 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I would say about 6 seconds. I usually try to get there as fast as I can so that he will fall back to sleep faster. If I let him cry very long it's harder to get him back to sleep.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 1:16 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• A lot of pediatricians say they can cry for up to and hour but I don't think I could do that. The longest I've went is maybe 15 min.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 2:06 AM on Dec. 16, 2008