My 7 year old plays with her... adult content

nipple. i describe it as like sucking a thumb. she has been doing it since forever. We always tell her to stop but she never does. her pediatrician said she will grow out of it but it just seems so awkward. DOes your child have a weird habit as well? i have a friend who's daughter rotates her neck and moves her head left to right about every 5 minutes or so.

alboston

Asked by alboston at 3:18 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i have never heard this one before, but i can understand your concern. How much of a big deal are you making of it? the reason i am asking is b/c maybe it's a getting a attention thing? or a stress thing. sometimes kids do things when they are under stress. my daughter sniffs her blankets.not as alarming as your daughter but stil cause for concern. have you thought about maybe getting her some counseling? that may help.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 3:23 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• This is normal. It feels good to adults, why wouldn't it feel good to children? The child doesn't need counseling. It isn't a sexual thing to a 7 yr old unless its been done to her in a sexual way. It just feels good. Don't worry. Just ask her to not do it in public bc that kinda stuff needs to be done in private.
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I have heard of small children who touch themselves bc it feels good even some who give themselves the big O at the age of yes 6 or 7 around that time. She will grow out of it but as loudnproud said ask her not to do it in public explain how its a thing to be done at appropriate times. Your friends child with the head thing sounds more like an OCD type of issue, I wouldnt say what your daughter is doing is an OCD issue per say but it could be. I wouldnt be overly concerned about it just yet personally. Give her some more time to see if she grows out of it. Good luck.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 3:28 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• As with another poster, I would explain to your daughter that there are things we do privately b ourselves. My dd touches her private area sometimes and she's younger than your dd. I told her if she needed to do that she needed to do it in her room by herself.
    Anonymous

• When I was a baby I always had my finger in my bellybutton. It is probably something she started when she was still in your tummy. She will probably grow out of it.
    ashlrenee

Answer by ashlrenee at 3:36 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• She usually does it when she is sitting still like watching tv or sitting at the computer. She has never been abused. She is our "good" kid as well so its also not an attention thing. We dont fuss about it we just tell her to stop. I constantly play with my hair. i mean constantly. on a 7 hour drive from atlanta i drove with one hand and played with my hair with the other.
    alboston

Comment by alboston (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• im sure everything is ok she will probely grow out of it. my son suckede on his toe tell he was 3 years old and he is 6 naw and he nolonger does it.
    amber2005

Answer by amber2005 at 3:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2011