My 2 year old is throwing random tantrums that are really starting to worry me, what can I do?

My 2 year old will throw these completely random and sudden tantrums for NO REASON. She will wake up from a nap and be a little grumpy and then all of the sudden she screams at the top of her lungs, throws herself down and grabs anything she can and throws it around....it will last anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes. They are completely unprovoked...she will do it even when she hasn't been told no and had something taken from her.

I'm really starting to get concerned! She was so good for the longest time and now she is just awful and when she's throwing these tantrums I get the feeling that something may be hurting her but she cannot voice what it is and I can't figure it out. I just don't know what to do anymore.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Its normal the term "terrible twos" didnt come from nothing. She is at the age & give or take a bit of time but they will all hit this stage. The best thing to do is simply ignore them. I refused to hang out, play, or respond to my daughter at that age when she was throwing fits of the sort bc I found trying to figure it out or calm her down did nothing. I'm sure she is just fine nothing is hurting her. They are random but it sounds like she is actually pretty mild with her fits. My daughter would through them from 20-2hours at a time (no joke) & slam her head against the wall, on concret floors, throw child sized furniture, the works. Once she threw a fit & held a grudge on me for an entire day, very true. While out in public when one would begin the only way to stop them was to leave the place we were at. Good luck you'll get through this & figure out a way to handle them.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 3:23 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• It does sound like frustration.I would do a little research on how tohandle them when they happen.And see if they continue.Maybe after she gets some communication skills, they will stop.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 3:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I meant she would have fits for 20minutes upwards of 2hours at a time for fits. But walking away was what worked best for me. I would leave the room my daughter was in & do something else, clean, get on computer, watch tv, something else. I refused to speak to her until she calmed down & after a fwe times around she figured it out. Now at 3 1/2 my daughter will have a fit (not as often as then though) I will walk away & at some point she will start to scream "I'm really to calm down now mom" & she will start to calm herself down & then we talk.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Hmm... out of nowhere? She probably has stress on her mind and frustration... something is probably worrying her severely, either that or she desperately is wanting something. When my children were 2 and 3 they also had frequent tantrums but usually never without reason...
    mdixitfan3

Answer by mdixitfan3 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I think it is a normal two year thing. They are testing their boundaries. What worked wtih my son was taking him to his room and once he has cooled off and stopped tantrumming he was allowed to leave his room. In the beginning it took some patience and repettition but as time went on the tantrums got shorter & once he went to his room he almost immediately stopped cause he wanted to leave his room. Some times he would end up playing in his room (tantrum forgotten) but the end result was the same. He stopped his screaming & invested his time in something else.
    Lolla688

Answer by Lolla688 at 4:01 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Be careful not to give her attention when it happens. Just walk away. When she is a little calmer, try redirecting her to another activity.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 4:16 PM on Jul. 3, 2011