How can I make my daughter excited about doing her homework?

My daughter Pooja (9 years old) Is a very good girl but can be a troublemaker and does not want to do her homework - I have tried everything that came into my mind - rewarding her for doing it nicely, helping her, and encouraging her... nothing works! In school she occasionally came in with un-done homework - and if it was done, I had to do 97% of it. Did anyone ever have this problem? If so, how did you solve it? Thank you!

mdixitfan3

Asked by mdixitfan3 at 3:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in

• i don't have this problem only b/c i made it s strict rule that homework was to be done as they got home from school--no exceptions. they have it in their heads that their is no point in arguing it and if they want to play then they must finish their homework. i think it's time to take back control and show her you are the parent and she is the child and needs to listen to this very important rule.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 3:38 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• find out if she needs time to unwind 1st,if yes a snack,maybe a video game tv time(whatever works in your home for 30 minutes) if she needs to saty in schiool mode then have a special place that is her home desk,she knows taht as soon as she comes home she will go to her desk and do work. let her know she needs to complete all of it,if she is not finished by dinner after dinner/chores she will complete,no friends,phone,.... until work complete. I also would not do her work she is not learning anything other than mom will do it,i would let her take the consequences of uncompleted assignments.
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 2:42 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• WHY ARE YOU DOING YOUR DAUGHTER'S HOMEWORK??????

Answer by rkoloms at 10:36 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Sorry, I am calm now.
    Homework is to reinforce lessons; if you do the work, the lessons won't stick, and your daughter will fall behind, academically.
    You need to have a set time and a set place for homework. At our house, after school there is a half hour for snack and down time, then homework; I have a homework area set up on the dining room table: laptop, calculator, pens, pencils, paper, etc. Work before play, always.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:39 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Yes I did have this problem, but what I did was I made homework fun and exciting by rewarding prizes like point. I would have the point add up to something they like to do, see, play, etc. The point would add up to 2,500 point. All you are doing is rewarding them for completing there homework each day and it also have to be done before 8:00 PM and if there are homework over the weekend, you really make the game even more fund,

Brenda
    bleake

Answer by bleake at 3:27 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• what we do is when my son gets home from school is he gets a snack and time to sit(about half an hour) and unwind a little then he has to sit at the table away from any rooms that have TVs and do his homework until dinner(if it lasts that long). This is a rule we have followed ever since he started school and it seems to work for we don't get backtalk or anything of that sort
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 6:49 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• 1. You should never do her homework. If she chooses not to, she can suffer the consequences.
    2. If it is "stupid" homework, why should she do it? Would you, as a person capable of deciding what you enjoy, choose to mill through pages upon pages of "stuff" every night? I wouldn't. Choose a different academic setting for the child.
    bettyjeanmarino

Answer by bettyjeanmarino at 4:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2011