Cerebal palsy

My 3 month old rarely opens his hands, they are always in fists - is this normal? Aslo - sometimes when I pick him up he arches back and is stiff, he does this when I walk him around too - I heard these are signs of cerebral palsy - anyone had similar expereinces?

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 11:09 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• as long as the Apgar Score was good I don't think you should worry. thats something they can tell you at birth
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 11:17 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Yes, it is. Mine is almost four months and is just finally starting to open up. Don't ready anything into it.

He may be arching his back because you've startled him, or because he's uncomfortable with something else. My guy arches when he's gassy or really angry.

Palsy symptoms are a bit different,, you're doctor probably would have mentioned them to you if there was a concern about anything. I have a brother with very severe cerebral palsy, and it's VERY obvious that he has it.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 11:18 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• At 3 months old your babies hands should not be "fisted". Arching of the back at that age is usually not normal either. Have you talked with your Ped about this and if so, does he/she seemed concerned?

An apgar score is only good at birth...meaning...it tells them how well the baby is adjusting to life outside the uterus such as breathing and circulation. Normally the Ped does a physical on the infant before they go home which in a lot of cases will detect neurological issues.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:21 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I meant to say...that every infant is different...even though your little one may not be opening his hands it may not mean anything. I would not be worried until you see your Ped and hear what he/she has to say. Best wishes.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:23 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• The Apgar test checks the muscle tone and strength.
    Cerebral palsy is something that would be detected at birth and the child is born with it. from either low oxygen or viruses like rubella and toxoplasmosis
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 11:25 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• For your peace of mind I would just ask the doctor. I am a big fan of calling the pedi. with every little question or concern I have, which is often. They don't seem to mind.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 1:13 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Apgar is NOT a test for muscle tone and strength... it means apperance, pulse, grimace, activity and respiration.
    If you have concerns talk to your pediatrician.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:34 AM on Dec. 16, 2008