C Section

I am pregnat with my first set of twins. I met with my doctor today to discuss somethings and find out about the procedure of having twins. I have 2 little girls already but nothing prepared me for twins. She told me today that I would most likely positively have a c- section. I don't know much about that either. I had my 2 daughters vaginally. Can some of you tell me the procedure and the recovery and for those who've had both c section and vaginal deliveries. Which ones worse?

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 11:10 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Pregnancy

• c section is worse i think
    Anonymous

• I had my first via c section and then 2 vaginal births. C section is much harder and takes longer to recover from. I much prefer the vaginal births. Also after giving birth 3 times we adopted a set of twins. To me it seems easier because they keep each other entertained and busy. They are never alone and always have someone to play with. Now they were 23 months old when we got them so I missed all the newborn part.
    redheadedmommie

Answer by redheadedmommie at 11:16 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• C-sections are much worse. I've had 3 vaginal births and 2 c-sections. My first vaginal birth was a 36 hour labor with 3 hours of pushing a a HUGE tear(thanks to the induction). I'd take that over a c-section any day.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I didnt have both but I did have two c-sections. My second c-section was not bad at all. Because it was planned and I didnt have to go through labor, the recovery was great. I was up taking a shower and walking the hospital the very next day. They were actually telling me to take it easy because they didnt want me to get too worn out.
    YoungMomtoGirls

Answer by YoungMomtoGirls at 11:24 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• A lot of it depends on your pain tolerance level. I was off pain meds within a week after my third c/section. After my first it only took 1 1/2 days to be off them. I just didnt hurt that bad.

You will have to take it easy and not do a whole lot of things that involve bending at the belly/waist, driving for a couple weeks, vacuuming...stuff like that. Anything that may cause you to pull on that incision and tear it. Go for stitches vs staples if you can.

You can care for your children you will just have to be careful and listen to your body. If it says tired, slow down, etc ....DO SO. DO NOT push yourself(we moms tend to do that). It might cause you to heal slower and feel "normal" slower if you dont allow your body the time it needs.

Cont'd...

BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 11:25 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Get up and walk as soon as you can. It helps immensely with recovery. If you need to keep the area dry and there is a little roll over the incision put a dry washcloth there...it will help keep it dry so you dont get yeasties.

C/Sections arent as bad as some may lead you to believe. It is harder to recoop and you will probably stay 3 days in the hossy but its doable and all that really matters is those beautiful children you will have at the end.
    BonesDragonDew

• I had a c-section last year and of course it was unplanned and wasn't an emergency but I wasn't progressing "fast enough" and so the doc thought it was best for me to have a csection. I was crying hysterically because no one in my family has ever had one. Well, it turned out fine. I think it's easier in the labor/delivery sense where when you have the spinal tap, there's no more pain!!! I was in labor for 16 hours with 2 epidurals, which didn't work for me...so, yeah...I definitely liked the spinal tap better. After the procedure, I was drugged up on morphiene and felt icky, didn't eat for more than 36 hours, would vomit... I ended up having high blood pressure after the csection which made me stay in the hospital for 6 days instead of the usual 4. It took me 3 months to fully recover and get back to normal activity.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 11:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I pushed for 3 hours then was rushed in for a c-section it hurt to stand or strech I was in the hospital a week and could not get up on my own the only thing that helped was the pain pillls they gave me i don't know what I would of done with out them it took me 3 weeks to recover I wish the best for you
    desiraee20

Answer by desiraee20 at 11:52 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I haven't had a vaginal birth, but I did have an emergency c-section. For me, the recovery wasn't too bad, but then, I didn't have other little ones to chase around, or twins. I was out walking after two weeks, but still taking it easy. Because it's a surgery, it's a more difficult recovery than a vaginal birth. The big concern with twins and vaginal births is that even if they are both head down, the second one may flip after the first one is delivered. Explore your options.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:41 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I had an emg. c-section with my first and am having a scheduled c section with my second.. the first time around wasn't bad. I was in the hospital for 3 days because it was an emg. my songot stuck!! But I didn't think it was terrible.. I didn't take any pain medications after and felt fine!
    Anonymous