How can I tame my 3 (almost 4) year old?? HELP

So my son is a handful....it could be worse lol don't get me wrong. He is sweet at time of course, that is, when he wants to be. He just always has something to say and has a sour attitude....He is too preoccupied with what he wants to do to LISTEN to what his mom 'n dad tell him. I know he is smart....just troubled i guess. . .does anybody have any solutions??

ohgoshism

Asked by ohgoshism at 4:02 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• kiddie boot camp!! hahah! just kidding. i think that maybe staying consistant and keeping a united front with dh. i hope that this helps.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 4:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Use the least amount of words, otherwise it's just "wah, wah, wah" like the teacher in Peanuts (if you have ever seen it...).

Be specific and direct, one task at a time until he can handle a series of tasks. Give an immediate reward any time he complies. Make a HUGE deal out of it the first time, then you can tone it down. The reward should just be praise, but occasionally you can do more, like give stickers or a star on the reward chart. Don't give something tangible like a toy or candy because it becomes an expectation.

When he does not comply, just take him by the hand, look him in the eye and calmy and briefly reiterate what you want him to do. If he is openly defiant, then put him in time out. Hope this helps!
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 4:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Haha! he does need boot camp..... well I think I have tried these answers. Please leave some more solutions!
    ohgoshism

Comment by ohgoshism (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Did I make a post and forget? Your 3 almost 4 y/o sounds the same as my 3 almost 4 y/o.....so Iim curious too!!! He throws BAD tantrums, refused time out--as many times as I sit him backj in it....Im exhausted!
    oregonduck

Answer by oregonduck at 5:00 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Sounds like a typical preschool boy! I have a home daycare and have a bunch of preschool boys. I've recently started a ticket system, they all start the day with 5 tickets, they lose tickets for unwanted behavior. If they keep all 5 at the end of the day they get a small prize, if they lose all 5 they have to go take a nap regardless of the time of day. So far none have lost all 5 tickets and the behavior has gotten so much better!! I got the idea from Dr. John Rosemond, check out his website, he has a lot of great ideas.
    luvmycutebaby

Answer by luvmycutebaby at 8:03 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• My almost four year old boy is like this, too. I find that he repeats a lot of the bad attitude things that I say when I feel overwhelmed and grouchy from no sleep. "I told you already!" "You're making me crazy!" This is what alerted me to the fact that his bad attitude might just very well be mine! I am making an effort not to get too bossy with him and ignore his bad behaviors as long as he's safe. I have a 19 month old too and the bad attitude is contagious! We try to spend as much time outside as possible. He has to be able to run off his steam or he gets bored.
    linda_lou

Answer by linda_lou at 10:19 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• wow thank you so much for your comments ladies. I really like the advice n will keep in mind. Keep them coming because (uh hmmm) lol 5 or 6 comments is not enough for me.
    ohgoshism

Comment by ohgoshism (original poster) at 12:23 AM on Jul. 5, 2011