Ultrasound opinions?

I am not sure if I want an ultrasound or not. I'm not goin to find out the gender, so would an ultrasound be necessary? What are the ups and downs of them?

Pepe22

Asked by Pepe22 at 4:11 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• The doctor tens to do one around the middle of the pregnancy not just for 'fun' or to find out the sex but also to check the baby is developing correctly, that way if something seems not quite right they can be prepared.
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 4:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I dont think there are any downs. For me its mainly to just make sure everything is growing properly. If anything was wrong, I could prepare myself mental and physically for that. If you dont want to know the gender then let them know and they wont tell you.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• yeah this is for development reasons not just to find out about the sex of the baby
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 4:17 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/252/5/669.full.pdf

http://www.unhinderedliving.com/pultra.html

Sending OP more links within a message, too many to list here, if anyone is interested in the full list feel free to send me a message.

dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 4:25 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Good for you!
    Asking these questions is rare and very important!

When we weigh risks it's helpful to realize which are unnecessary, why to choose/not choose anything.

Most babies in the world are born without ultrasound & Doppler exposure.
    It's good to see that there are risks with these things and to consider opting for them when there is an indication, NOT routinely.

Lots of us never have any U/Ss with our pregnancies, if you opt out you won't be alone.

Good luck!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:43 PM on Jul. 3, 2011