braking the water

my older sister just had a kid about 3 months ago and she says most women the doc brakes there water is that true or is she acting like a know it all??????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I don't know the percentage, but I do know that with all 3 of my kids, my water did not break on it's own, even with my child that was born only 2 hours after arriving at the hospital. The doctor had to break my water all 3 times.
    Anonymous

• I think its something like only 10% of women have their water break naturally. I don't know if the percentage is right, but I am pretty sure it is a small percent.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:19 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• That's not necessarily true. Most women don't have the gushing sudden break, though. It can be a slow drizzle or leak.
    lebrbria

Answer by lebrbria at 11:20 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I don't know if it occurs in most women but it is a common thing. Some women their water breaks naturally and others need a little help.
    Anonymous

• I believe the recent statistics are 20% for women who's water breaks naturally.

My first child my water ruptured at home.

My second child I was induced so they ruptured my water at the hospital.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I don't know the stats, but it seems that almost everyone I know has it broken by the doctor (or it breaks on it's own very late in labor). I guess that's why I was that much more surprised when mine broke before any other labor symptoms had started!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 11:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Well it probably just depends. My water had to be broken with my first daughter also to help with the labor process a little faster. With my youngest my water broke on it's own. I was happy to say "my water broke." it was definetly diffrent and it was the gush of water. I think it really just depends.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 11:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Yes its 20% now. Mine was broken at the hospital. Even though I was in labor for a week (i didnt know i was. I thought it was braxton hicks) Either way. Its only 20% And it dosent hurt or anything. All you feel is the gush of water if its broken for you.
    russian-mommy

Answer by russian-mommy at 11:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Doctors love to hurry things along by breaking your water, so there is a pretty high percentage of women whose waters are broken in the hospital. They like it because it's not as invasive or dangerous as Pitocin. With mine, I had a leak all day before I went to the hospital, and they did re-break my water when I was in (after awhile).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:38 AM on Dec. 16, 2008