Does anyone hate their name as adults?

Ok, so I hate my name with the passion. It doesn't fit my personality. It doesn't fit who I am on the inside. I want to start going by a new name, maybe even legally change it after awhile. I just don't know how to go about doing it. Like ppl I've known for years, how would they feel about calling me another name ? How about my son ? He knows me as Kaylee. My dad mentioned that I could go by "Lee" which is awesome. That fits my personality. To me, changing my name isn't any different than changing your appearance if you truly don't like it. ya know ? Its not as easy to do & more serious, but people get fake titties and new chins/noses. Why not change my name ??

loudnproud87

Asked by loudnproud87 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I don't hate my name, but Stephanie is so common it gets annoying hearing it and having 20 people turn around to look! I wouldn't go through the trouble of changing my name though because I know why my parents chose my name and I don't want to upset them! But, if you want to change your name go ahead! There isn't much of a point of living with something you are unhappy with it! I'm all for plastic surgery too if the person is altering their appearance for their own personal reasons and not for someone else! I wish you the best of luck!
    supermama86

Answer by supermama86 at 4:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Friend of mine was named for/by people no longer in his life, so he finally changed it to something he liked when he was in his 40's. He was very straightforward about it, and it takes a while to update everything, everywhere. There are all kinds of places that you don't think of where they have you by name (doctor's office, video rental, etc). He doesn't regret it, but has mentioned more than once about the hassle of updating it everywhere and on everything and with everyone. You also have to be ready to explain why to pretty much everyone you know, over and over again, and be prepared that no matter what the reason, some will judge you for it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:38 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• My grandma changed her name. She used to get so mad if anyone slipped up and called her her old name! lol I know another girl who did it too. It's not that big of a deal just allow people time to get used to it. I was named after my grandma so I wear my name proudly in honor of her. Funny thing is, my whole fam didn't even know that wasn't her given birth name untill right before she died at 93!
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• i'm not a fan of my name either, it was one of those names my mom came by in a baby book and liked and it ended up one of the top 50 names that year (jessica)..

this is why when I see people asking for baby names I always suggest they go with something with a little more meaning to them.. something with a story.. I always hated answering the story about my name when asked in elementary (about how I got it), because there was none.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:36 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• See my name does have a meaning tho. I was suppose to be a boy which my name was going to be either Codi or Corey for a boy. My mom had 3 ultrasounds that said I was a boy. The night before she went into labor, she had a dream she had a baby girl name Kaylee Marie. I came out a girl and they used that name. Its meaningful. It just doesn't fit who I truly am on the instead. My parents totally understand and support me wanting to change my name to fit who I am on the instead. I was thinking about either going by Lee and keeping Kaylee OR changing it to Korey or Kodi like I was suppose to be. Yeah I'm bi, so I'm used to being judged. LOL I guess its my son I'm more worried about. I don't have a problem explaining myself at all. My name just didn't fit who I truly am on the inside. lol point blank right ?lol Thanks ladies. i appreciate your input and support.
    loudnproud87

Comment by loudnproud87 (original poster) at 4:43 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I mean inside not instead, LOL my bad im in the car on the way to kings island LOL
    loudnproud87

Comment by loudnproud87 (original poster) at 4:46 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I hate my name.
    XOHilary

Answer by XOHilary at 4:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• eh, i love my name..i mean, its mine. what's not to love?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:35 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• my name is not my favorite(Robin) I think it is boring but I would not change itb/c I have a story behind my name
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 11:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• As a child I wanted to be a Stephanie or a Samantha or something else that I deemed as elegant not boring old Louise! But now I am older I am happy with my name, I get Lou from my hubby and my friends but most of my family (except for one aunt and her children) call me Louise. Lou suits me better. My nan chose my name and she hates me getting Lou. Sometimes she calls me Louisianna as my middle name is Ann. :)
    LouLou6020

Answer by LouLou6020 at 7:33 AM on Jul. 4, 2011