Why tithe?

I have wondered how Jewish people tithe and Ive read little on it but there is presently no Levitical priesthood to tithe to, and from what i read only they can collect tithe? I understand they give freely to the synagogue and charities but wasn't tithe for the Levits? And i don't understand how when jesus died and ended the mosaic laws why christians are told they need to keep tithing 10%. Isnt the mosaic law only for Jews so wouldnt christians not have to obey that law? I guess im more curious in the differences in how Jewish people tithe and christians tithe and the reason for it.

I highlighted my main questions that i wanted answered but feel free to say what you think.

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 4:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• We tithe by giving money to charitable causes. DH and I, for example, donate money to an orphanage in Jerusalem, that's considered tithing. The laws of Maaser (that's the Hebrew word for tithing) are very complex and detailed, and there's more than one type of tithing. Here's a good basic explanation. As for your second question, I'm afraid Idon't have an answer as I'm not a Christian, I'm Jewish.

Sharon

momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• yes in Christianity too it's believed to tithe 10%. It's in the new testament about tithing too.
    Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 4:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I had never heard of tithe so i looked it up, it is not a part of Jewish religion at all. Jewish people can choose to become "members" of their temple and pay a yearly fee for inclusion into some special events etc, the synogogues also make money through religious education classes and donations.
    tithe is really just a way for churches to make money
    dharmagirl

Answer by dharmagirl at 4:43 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Jesus did not void the law. Matthew 5:17 "Don't misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose."

Tithe in both Jewish and Christian faiths is to maintain their house of worship. No one HAS to tithe, it is just a courtesy.

hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 4:54 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Galatians 3:23Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. 24So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. 25Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law

Maybe i am not reading into this right but this is the vers i felt meant jesus released christians from the law?

skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Tithing is in the NT as well. You may want to read 2 Corinthians chapters 8 and 9. The point o fgiving is not so much the amount we give, buy why and how we give. God does not want gifts given grudgingly, but cheerfully. We tithe out of dedication to Him, love for fellow believers, the joy of helping those in need, and because it's the right thing to do. Churches have elec/phone/water bills, different ministries, community outreaches, missionairies...Being a member of a church, I think it's my duty to help however I can...not only financially, but mt time as well.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 7:28 PM on Jul. 3, 2011