Should I just give it to her?

When me and dh got married my mother brought us a full-size bed as a wedding gift. When we moved(a few years later) we decided to get a king size bed. We put the full size bed in an empty room. Now that the kids are getting bigger we are doing a little switching around. Our ds is coming out of the toddler bed and going into the full-size bed. And we going to convert the toddler bed back into a crib for dd. All this means that dd is coming out of our room and into ds old bedroom(which is small). Ds is going into the bigger room. It taking a while(doing little by little) but all we have left is putting hardwood floor down and painting, which may take a while due to me and dh schedules. My sister just called and asked me what I was going to do with the full-size bed. I told her that I was going to put it in my son room when we get it finish. I could tel that she had an attitude. next thing I know my mom is calling me telling me that I could have gave my sister the bed since we haven't used it in years. So now everyone is upset with me because I told my sister no. Was I wrong for saying no? My mom still thinks that her say so counts because she brought the bed. What do you guys think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Relationships

• I THINK IF SHE BOUGHT YOU THE BED THEN ITS YOURS TO DO WHATEVER YOU WANT WITH IT AND IF YOU WANT YOUR SON TO HAVE IT THEN KEEP IT..LET YOUR SISTER GET HER OWN BED BECAUSE WHAT WOULD SHE DO IF YOU WAS WANTING THE BED ANYWAYS...SO NO YOU WASNT WRONG...YOUR SISTER IS A CRY BABY...SHE SOUNDS KINDA LIKE MY SISTER....STICK TO YOUR WORD AND IF THEY WANNA GET MAD AT YOU OVER AN OLD BED LET THEM OH WELL THATS STUPID...
    jme502

Answer by jme502 at 4:46 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• First, if your sister wanted it so bad why is she just asking for it now when you're going to be using it. Second it was a gift for YOU not your sister. Especially if you have a use for it then they both should respect that and leave it alone. I'd tell them that you kept it as a guest bed, because you knew you were going to need it when your children got older. I think its stupid to think that just because you buy someone a gift you are in charge of what happens to it. I'd tell them I'm sorry you're mad but we need the bed and it was a gift for us so we'd like to keep it and use it so we don't have to spend extra money on buying another bed, and leave it at that. Its just a bed they will get over it. You did nothing wrong.
    husky_grlie08

Answer by husky_grlie08 at 4:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• It's your bed. Do with it what you want! It's not like you don't have a use for it. I think your family is being extremely selfish in expecting you to put aside your needs, and the needs of your immediate family for them.
    Mom2theboy1994

Answer by Mom2theboy1994 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• i think your mom and sister should get a life! it was bought for you as a gift. it is YOURS! you and only YOU has a say to were it will go. if you want to box it up and store it in your attic for 18 years SO WHAT its yours! dont let them make yo ufeel bad. you have kids that will be bigenough to use it SO KEEP IT. if not then that will be hundreds of dollars that will have to come out of your pocket in the future.
    alboston

Answer by alboston at 4:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• It was a wedding gift. In my family we don't take gifts back or expect them to be given to other people that want them. I would tell my family just that. If they have a problem, it is theirs not yours. You could always ask them for all the stuff you ever gave them returned.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 4:50 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Its your bed and your going to be using it, why should you have to go out and buy a new one to make your sister happy.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 4:51 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• It was a gift to you. Keep it for your son.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Keep it for your son, its your bed to do what you want with. If they are still mad tell them that since it was a wedding gift to you, you would like to keep it, and you want your son to use it.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 5:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I'd probably say "OK, you can have the bed, but you'll need to buy a brand new one for my son, because that is to be his bed."

If you wanna be sassy, that is ;)

Otherwise, what most of these other women have said. Your bed. It was a gift, not something borrowed for a while.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 5:17 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• my child would definetely come first!!! they will get over it!!!!
    19withtwins

Answer by 19withtwins at 5:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2011