Would it be rude to tell my mil that if she brings her family to the hospital...

when I have my little girl then they are not allowed to hold my baby? Her and her family are a bunch of druggies and drunks and who knows what else they are into. I know I can't really tell her she can't hold her grand daughter but I thought maybe having dh say..."Brandi doesn't want anyone but grandparents holding Addy till she gets her shots". Or maybe he could say "we don't want a lot of people coming to the hospital so if you bring anyone they have to stay in the waiting room and wait for you". What do you think? The only problem is....if she is there while our friends ad other family are there then she will see that we are letting others hold our baby...so...idk What would you do?

I just don't want their dirty hands and mouths all over my baby.

Brandi300

Asked by Brandi300 at 5:34 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• that is totally reasonable to me. use the shots route. and basically, just say you want very close family there to support you. Also, how about NOT telling them when you go into labor and then saying something like "it happened so fast!"
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Just don't call her until you are home, and then when YOU are ready for a visitor.
    Doesn't have to be the first day or week or even the first month.

You are the Mom. You are the Boss of your baby.
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I wouldn't either. People like that wouldn't be allowed EVER around my kids... Call her when you feel like your ready to have them around
    marinebrats

Answer by marinebrats at 5:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Your baby your choice after the theatrical fit my MIL gave at the NICU last year with my DD i am not allowing her near this DD when she is born until she is with me and then i am having the nurses limit the time she can be there since they remember what a PITA she is i've also said no other family members until our DD is home (my inlaws are the same way as yours) good luck on your little one there is nothing rude about putting your childs health above someone else feelings
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 5:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• they gave you great advice..I'll give you a bump
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 5:43 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• does your husband agree with you and your decision? if so get him to back you on this
    RShilling

Answer by RShilling at 6:05 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• @jeanclaudia Ohhh that could totally work! We might just use that! Thanks! Lol Why didn't I think of that? :)
    Brandi300

Comment by Brandi300 (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Oh yes he totally does agree....he just isn't very good with words so if I don't tell him what he needs to say there is no telling what he will come out with. He wouldn't mean to be rude in any way but he can be very blunt without realizing it Lol
    Brandi300

Comment by Brandi300 (original poster) at 6:09 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• If you don't want people there be woman enough to tell your MIL that you don't want her bringing anyone to the hospital with her. As far as holding the baby why can't you open your mouth?? Why does your husband have to speak for you?? Why not tell them to wash their hands or they can't hold the kid.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 6:55 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• just tell them to put it down in your chart that you only will let certain people in to see you and have those people listed
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 7:06 PM on Jul. 3, 2011