Should I get a family practice doc or a pediatrician?

My husbands and I are switching insurances and Im wondering if we should get a pediatrician for our daughter (due In 3 weeks) and have a different doc for us or get a family practice doctor that we all can go to. I am sorta leaning towards the family practice doctor just so that they are familiar with the whole family, but im still not sure....thanks for your help!!

lil_momma_vdv

Asked by lil_momma_vdv at 5:43 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I'd stick with the pediatrician for at least the 1st 10 years. They know their stuff better than a GP

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:44 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Ped. for your daughter and GP for you guys.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:46 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• while family drs are great a ped is better because that is their main focus (kids)
    RShilling

Answer by RShilling at 6:50 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Peds definatly know alot more as that is there only practice. So I would definatly be better to get a Ped, I want the best care possible!! mmmmmhhhmmmmmm ....think i decided <3
    lil_momma_vdv

Comment by lil_momma_vdv (original poster) at 5:49 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I like using a pediatrician. The offices are then geared towards making children comfortable-colorful wall papers, books, toys, small chairs and tables... I also like the idea that all they do is work with infants and children. They have different needs than adults. Not just medically but also mentally. A doctor who does nothing but with with children is going to have a much easier time keeping them calm and cooperative.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:50 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• we just have a family doctor but we only go once in a blue moon so its no big deal! i needed someone who agreed with our beliefs and who wouldnt tell me how to raise my kids! i just take them in if they are REALLY sick and thats it! but in the end u just need someone u like!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 5:54 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Both
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 3:18 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I would stick to getting a pediatrician for your daughter because they specialize in little kids.... with a family doctor, it definitely is more convenient, but at the same time, IMO I go to the person who all they deal with are little ones, so that they know the ins and outs of the illnesses and such better. Simply because that is all they study.... GL!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 2:38 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• i would go with the pediatrician. like somene said its more geared towards children and infants and they are very knowledgable if you have any questions ect. not that family dr is not knowledgable but he is more general about everything.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2011