How do you feel about stimulus checks?

Does anyone else have an issue with them? It isn't like it is free money, it is money you would have gotten back at tax time and now won't. Personally I think we should be able to choose whether we want to accept them or not (since there is talk of another one coming about). I would rather get my 'lump sum' at tax time than get a stimulus check that won't do anything but be put toward my bills anyway (there for NOT stimulating the economy).

ProudSingleMum

Asked by ProudSingleMum at 11:29 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• well, you could always just put the $ in a savings account and not spend it until you get the rest of your tax refund.

Anonymous

• Yep you are right. But the thing is, it seems people think it is 'free money' when it is MY money, and I feel that if I want it to sit and be given to me at tax time, then that is exactly what should happen :D
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 11:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I don't understand it. It didn't work last time because people used it to pay down debt. In these tough economical times, more people will be using it to pay down debt, so it likely won't stimulate anything.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:35 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• *sorry, meant economic times - not economical.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:47 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Stimulus checks are not the answer to the USA's economic problems. Americans need to BUY American to keep American jobs. Americans need to put money into America'd economy and not overseas. Americans need to have more pride in the products produced here.

Who wants to eat an orange from Europe when you can eat American foods and stimulate your countries economy? Not I. I look to see if products are American and buy accordingly.

Anonymous

• All we did with our last one was pay bills and thats all we will do with the next one I rather just recieve all of my money togather in our tax return, although you never know if when you get your stimulous check if you have fallen upon a hard time or not so a little surprise extra money would be nice I guess
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 12:36 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• well right now a stimulus check sounds good to me. I am standing in a flood of water, my pipe burst, and my kitchen and several rooms of my house have to be gutted. So I personally would be spending that as soon as it came in.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:28 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I don't see where they did much to stimulate the economy. Maybe if they'd sent them this time of year if would have made more sense.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 8:58 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Well we aren't getting anymore money, that stimulus check is suppose to go to funding more infantstructures and to build more jobs. I helped stimulate the economy this past weekend. I went to an arts and craft show and bought from Americans!!
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 10:31 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I wouldn't know. We didn't get one. We had made some great real estate choices back before the bubble hit in 2001 and 2002. Sold both in 2007 to buy our house. Made good money on those two properties that we sold, the government said that we were rich for the year 2007 and so we didn't get a check, nor will we get the next one if they do it again. They didn't take into account that we did NOT pocket that money, it went toward our house. Then they stuck us with $20,000 in taxes that we were not expecting. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.
    Anonymous