In your opinion, should we put prayer and allegiance back into the school system.

Imho I think it is imperative to do so in order to reunify our nation.

I love my God and my Country, and would like to be allowed to praise both in public.

Please lets be civil about this. I know there are different religions here and prayer would not be an option for them, so maybe comment on the "pledge of Allegiance".

shefree

Asked by shefree at 5:56 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I agree. We never should've taken it out in the first place.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 5:57 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• SIGH.....
    Neither is gone,its just not FORCED on kids anymore

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• First of all, I've never heard of a school that didn't recite the Pledge on a daily. That said, I don't believe they should. I find the idea of asking a young child to Pledge their Allegiance to ANYTHING ridiculous. How can they pledge their allegiance when they honestly have no understanding of what it means to do so? It completely devalues the point of the pledge in the first place.
    Now, should they learn it? Yes, but in it's original form, without God. Because many children have no concept, understanding or belief in God. And religion, or any form, shouldn't be generalized for the masses, it's to individual a subject.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:11 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• You are aware that kids CAN PRAY IN SCHOOL, right?? Teacher/faculty lead prayer is what was removed. Who's God should everyone be forced to pray to? If you are going to say Christian, which denomination did you have in mind??

It is NOT the school's job to teach YOUR children about God. That is YOUR job as their parent. If you want them to pray, then do it at home before leaving for school and teach them little prayers they can say at school during the moment of silence.

As for the Pledge ... I don't think it should be done at the elementary school level. There really isn't a point in having kids that young saying the Pledge. Especially when they don't know what they are saying or why. Higher grades ... I'm not sure.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 6:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Prayer should never have been taken out.

So you have no problem with the children saying a blot to Odin? And of course they'll need to kneel and pray to Allah, too. That's going to take up quite a bit of time each morning. That and calling the corners. And the prayers to Brahman. BTW, where will all the atheist kids be during this prayer? Surely your kids aren't going to be watching them like a hawk to make sure they participate, right? Because your kids bullying the atheist kids would never be what you had in mind? Telling them they need to pray is bullying, btw, if you weren't clear on that.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:32 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I don't think prayer should be allowed. Maybe a moment of silence and one can choose to pray if they like.

As far as the Pledge, lots of places still say it and I think if someone chooses not to, it is fine if they sit out.

I think they should go back to the ORIGINAL version of the Pledge which did not include "under god"....
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 6:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• "Imho I think it is imperative to do so in order to reunify our nation."

i dunno if anyone else has stated this...but how is putting forced prayer to only one religions version of God suppose to reunify the nation? if anything it will deunify the nation by putting them at religious odds.

and the pledge is still said and taught in my school district. i do see the point in teaching American pride to our citizens but not at the cost of dumbing them down to think America can do no wrong or blind allegiance.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:46 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Imho I think it is imperative to do so in order to reunify our nation.

separation of church and state thankfully disagrees with you, now nobody is forced to pray to a god they don't believe in. prayer belongs at school like a pimple on your ass. exactly what does prayer have to do with education? just voicing my "honest opinion"

I love my God and my Country, and would like to be allowed to praise both in public

and you have every constitutional right to do so, so what's your point? nobody has taken either away from you.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:16 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

Please enlighten me.  How exactly does your nation need to be re-unified?   I thought that was successfully accomplished in 1865.   And how exactly is prayer going to accomplish this re-unification?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Stop acting as if prayiing to YOUR idea of a god is what will "unify" this nation. It's that idea that divides rather than unifies us. Prayer is very much allowed in schools as easy as you can pray ANYWHERE that you are. The problem is, it's not teacher led, group participation that you don't like.
    We'd see a lot more unification of our society if people stopped expecting others to bow down to their ideas of god/s and judged those who don't bow down to a god.

sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:20 AM on Jul. 4, 2011