Does anybody know of a good "learning to sew" kit?

My daughter will be 9 on 12/30 and she's realllllllly into fashion and is even "designing" clothing, outfits, handbags, shoes etc... She wants to start making some of her creations. I don't have the money for a sewing machine, but was thinking I could start her off with learning to sew on buttons for practice. Other than that I was thinking she could start small with clothes for her dolls. Does anybody know of a good kit that teaches kids how to sew? I'm not very good at it (wish I was though!) and I'd like her to learn correctly.

praisinghim2day

Asked by praisinghim2day at 11:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• you can actually find pretty inexpensive children's machines at your local craft store. The one I saw was about $30 and bright pink.

here it is on ebay for $9.99 + shipping http://cgi.ebay.com/Pink-Sew-E-Z-Model-W338P-Childrens-Sewing-Machine_W0QQitemZ330291785315QQcmdZViewItem

Anonymous

• Do you have a Joann's craft store or something similar near you? I know a lot of places like that have free kids classes -- I took my daughter many times for sewing classes or t-shirt printing. Maybe you could check that out.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 3:33 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My 9 yo made bean bags for the church. They are fairly easy to make and fun to give to youngsters to play with. We have gotten our dd a sewing machine but that was before we moved into a smaller house without the sewing room. She just used my machine to sew them plus when you get done she gets the hand sewing to close them. If you can't find instructions just pm me and I will tell you how.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 10:49 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Have you ever seen any of the Klutz activity books/kits? They have lots of different options and they go for about $20 each. I have 3 girls and we have/had most of them already. There's a learn to sew book that teaches the basics, has a few craft projects and comes with all the stuff you need to make them. There's also a quilting one that's pretty cool too. I buy mine at a homeschool store, I'm not sure where else you can get them, but I highly recommend looking into them!
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 6:12 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Thanks for all your help, ladies! : ) I appreciate it! I just moved here and don't know if we have a JoAnn's or not (I'm sure we do somewhere, it's a big city).
    praisinghim2day

Answer by praisinghim2day at 11:16 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Hobby Lobby has some awesome stuff like that, I just bought some for my daughter's birthday.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 7:58 PM on Dec. 30, 2008