As asked in RD " In your opinion, should we put prayer and allegiance back into the school system?"

Imho I think it is imperative to do so in order to reunify our nation.

I love my God and my Country, and would like to be allowed to praise both in public.

Please lets be civil about this. I know there are different religions here and prayer would not be an option for them, so maybe comment on the "pledge of Allegiance".

shefree

Asked by shefree at 6:45 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• (my answer C/P from the other section. lol.)
    wow..i must be made from different material than most of you..i most certainly mean what i say when i recite the Pledge, and the words are incredibly profound to me. our flag represents our country, none other, and just for that reason, i proudly display it, and 'pledge' to it, as show of pride and strength and steadfastness. i have great thoughts for our country; it isn't just something i say because 'everyone else is doing it'. I'M PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!
    and yes, i think every citizen should know the words by heart. forced to say it, no..but they do need to understand it and know it...whether they include 'under God' or not.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Once again, the pledge was never taken out of school. As for prayer, most people who demand it be put back would demand it be taken out again as soon as it was used equitably - meaning EVERYONE gets to pray, not just Christians.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:48 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I am an Atheist American.....how does putting god in anything reunify anything for those who do not believe there is one? You can praise god and pray anywhere you like already. When I was a christian I prayed everywhere with no problems from anyone. Including prayer in school is unconstitutional so...
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 6:50 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

lol.. I thinnk this is also a political question also.
    shefree

Comment by shefree (original poster) at 6:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• What kind of prayer and to whom? Does each faith get a day? Christians, Jews, Muslims (abc order)?

IMO, NO- prayer does not need to be included in the public school curriculum. If you want religion in your child's education, you can CHOOSE a religious school.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:06 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• The Pledge is still in schools. Praying can be an individual thing . It doesn't have to be featured in schools. I don't think it ever was.
    Prayer belongs in church and at home and in your heart, not out loud as a class.There always HAVE been students of various religions in class rooms for as long as I have been alive (and that is almost 70 years) and expecting all students to say a Christian prayer in class would be discriminatory and leave some students out.That would be cruel. Trying to intoduce prayer in school would be counterproductive. It would only be appropriate in a Christian school.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 7:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• My son says the pledge everyday at school. So here in So Cal its still here. As far as prayer? Why should prayer be brought into a public school? You can pray over your lunch at recess etc but why should prayer have a special part in a non religious school? I pray all the time but I don't think it should be put into school. If I wanted God and my kids education to be united then my kids would go to a religious school.
    And furthermore I don't feel that the pledge of allegiance should be said everyday in school either. I feel that saluting the flag is an act of worship. I do not worship anyone but God.
    Anonymous

• The pledge is in schools
    Prayer? Nope.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 7:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I am just going to say that I was shocked in the fifth grade when a really old teacher told me that the words "under god" were added later to the pledge. I made up my mind to research it, wrote a paper and ever since have believed the ORIGINAL pledge of allegiance should be recited in school. Not the one they use now, which in MHO is WRONG.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 7:49 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• The pledge is in schools still... at least around here. And prayer is fine, but will you be willing to say the Hail Mary? Are other people going to be ok with saying the Hail Mary?
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:49 PM on Jul. 3, 2011