When should you test a childs IQ?

Is it ok to test a child to see what their IQ is or do you have to wait till they are adults?

I've been told my daughter is going to need to be tested for the gifted program when she gets to school but what about IQ? I know nothing about that and I'm not really trying to push it on her but just curious if its even worth doing as a child or how you go about getting it done for children.

anyone know??

husky_grlie08

Asked by husky_grlie08 at 6:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• The school will probably do an IQ test if she needs to be put in a gifted program. I'd be careful, I don't think it's good for kids to know their IQ's, and IQ's can change, so although they are an indicator, they aren't necessarily accurate.

The reason I don't think it's good for kids to know their IQ is that when kids hear that they have a very high IQ, they tend sometimes believe that they don't have to work as hard, or that other people, including their teacher's, aren't as smart as they are. Unfortunately I've known (and been related to) several people with above genius IQ's who have never lived up to their potential because of this. On the other hand, knowing that number can also put an incredible amount of pressure on a child to live up to perform.

If you really want to know, you can pay a private child psychologist for an IQ test.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:55 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I honestly don't think you should,, what if you find out it is lower than you believed? Would you lower your expectations of her,, I think that a label like IQ is only needed when a child is not performing well, and needs some evaluation for their level of neediness, just my thoughts though!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• The gifted program is not for "smart" kids, it is for kids who think on another level. They are usually the ones that get good grades though. The IQ test can be given to any child once the can handle reading comprehension, and you do not have to let your child see the results.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 7:45 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• They do an IQ test in grade school usually and you shouldn't worry about it. Schools use it as a valuable tool...it does not have to be known to anyone. I had a test when I was in first grade and they wouldn't tell me or my parents. But my teacher told my Mom that it was quite high and she didn't want me to be conceited and think I was so smart that I woulfn't have to do my school work! LOL. ( My Mom told me when I was married and had kids.LOL.)
    That's true,though.I could read on a 3rd grade level when I was 4, before I went to school. But no matter what the IQ, how well a student studies and listens in class is so much more important. (I was lazy in school.LOL )
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 7:54 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I would wait till high school at least
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 11:24 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Leave it to the educators. They know best. If its not done right, you will have incorrect information.
    BrendaW.

Answer by BrendaW. at 2:03 AM on Jul. 7, 2011