Inducing labor naturally FYI

Just something I looked up out of boredom......If you get on the net and look up ways to induce labor naturally you'll find a bunch of sites that tell you things that will work such as walking, sex, female orgasm, nipple stimulation, certain foods, herbs and oils. If you read all of the site it also tells you that they do not work unless your body is ready for labor or you are already in labor. They also recommend that you do not try them unless you are 40 + weeks because a due date is just a best guess based off of your last period and could be off by up to 2 weeks. Male semen is suppose to help soften the cervix, female orgasm is to help dilate the cervix, walking is suppose to help baby drop and if already in labor help progress it faster. Nipple stimulation (can cause severe contractions), foods, herbs and oils are suppose to help start contractions but again they will not work unless your body is ready, they also can be harmful to baby depending on the herbs or oils. Just wanted to share. I like to do research lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:51 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I can add a little tidbit that I learned from one of ob's @ my clinic, apparently not only does letting your SO other ejaculate inside during sex help, but apparently actually swallowing it helps even more. (She mistakenly told me DH this and he thought that I would be giving him BJ's left and right!) LOL
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 6:55 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I think I saw that posted some where on CM lol and I told my husband and he said "well yeah baby wont like the taste and it'll push him out" thats just funny.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• castor oil and pineapple didn't work for me. But sex when I was pregnant helped me big time. Walking helps too
    marinebrats

Answer by marinebrats at 7:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• lol!!!
    ;-D

We should respect that these are ways to *force* labor / baby out and can add unnecessary risks.

"Natural" induction is still induction ( = force ).

Some of these things mentioned are pretty risky, not to be taken lightly~

Weighing risks, respecting that there is an Important Reason we are still pregnant and that baby if is safer inside than out, inducing of any sort can be unethical and unsafe.

Thanks for sharing this and bringing it up!
    :-)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I think if there truly was a "natural" way to go into labor there would be a lot more women going into labor at 38 weeks and one day. There is no sure fire way to induce yourself... You just have to wait it out like all of the other uncomfortable women in the final weeks of pregnancy. Good luck:)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 7:36 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I had my first kid at 41 weeks. I never considered trying to induce, I just assumed that my due date was off. Granted I was ready for her to be here but I tried to be patient lol as hard as that is. They say 38 - 42 weeks because the due date can be off by 2 weeks either way. So you may go to 42 weeks but that does not mean you are over. It could simply just mean your due date was off and you are actually only 40 weeks instead of 42.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• It's not necessarily that the due date is "off," we must also consider that gestating humans are like fruit ripening on the tree. They aren't all Perfectly Done and ready on the same amount of days...
    Some children take 240 days to cook. Some 212, others 266...

;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:49 PM on Jul. 3, 2011