**updated: Pros and cons to infant circumcison

Me and my DH are totally undecided on this matter... can I get some opinions & facts? :) thanks. (did you do it? would you do it again? is it safe? is it necessary?)

UPDATE:: My DH wasn't circumcised at birth... it wasn't till he was adopted at 3- that he got circumcised.. (he was adopted by a really religious family.) He says that the pain he felt and remembers was sooooo unbearable.. he just cried and cried for days! He doesn't want to put out son through that. BUT he says ultimately it's my choice, with what i am comfortable with. We like the cleanliness part of it... but we have no problem with spending the extra time cleaning him and teaching him how to clean it himself when he is old enough. After researching more and more we are leaning more towards NOT circumcising.. but we still want to talk with a doctor and research a bit more before making a final decision.

tasha94952

Asked by tasha94952 at 7:01 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I have a lot of info I can post but may be easier to just go through some posts & discussions already going about this.

I haven't found any "pros" to circumcision, so not worth it.

Circumcision is ABSOLUTELY optional and uncommon.
    Remaining intact is normal, common, the usual.
    ;-)
    If you'd like to read particular websites, certain books, CM conversations, etc., let us know.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:11 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• My husband and I are getting are son circumcised. Its way more sanitary in the long run. I know this as a fact. My husband in not circumcised and its a lot of work to keep clean. Boys/men with an uncircumcised penis are more prone to infections and the first time they have sex or masturbate its very painful because the skin rips away from the head of the penis. Also the penis is more sensitive where as if the skin is not covering the penis correctly it can be painful to the touch. Where as a male that has been circumcised does not have these issues or at least not as often and are less prone to infections. My personal opinion is that an uncircumcised penis is just gross. It collects dirt, sweat and semen under the skin. I refuse to have sex with my unless he takes a shower first or washes it in the sink.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 7:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I did it with my two older sons and completely regret it. We chose not to have my two younger sons done. It is not medically necessary and there can be complications just as with any surgery. Why take the risk?
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 7:09 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• We will be getting our son (if we have one) circumsized. From what I hear is it much easier to keep clean, and since DH is he wants his son to be.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:14 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I did it and NO I would not do it again.
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 7:06 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I didn't do it and don't regret my decision
    marinebrats

Answer by marinebrats at 7:07 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• It's not a "natural" procedure. If boys weren't supposed to have a foreskin, they'd be born without one. I know it's not MAJOR sugery, but it totally IS UNNECESSARY MUTILATION of your perfect baby boy. As for cervical cancer, there's a vaccine for that, you know, but it is not in any way caused by uncircumcized penises; STDs are NOT prevented by circumcision, they are prevented by having safe sex.

I don't mean to be getting argumentative; I agree that it is your decision, and I respect that. It sounds like you have every intention of making yourself informed, which is great. I'd hate for you to be swayed by people on here with mis-information. I'm sure you will realize through exploring the issue and talking to your doctor, that it is not a good idea.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:06 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• He does not need it......and if gets one, he will have no lasting negative effects. Do not listen to bullys and follow your own instints.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 7:16 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• We had our son circumsized and have had no problems and id do it again. if we have another boy we will circumsize.
    Brooke505

Answer by Brooke505 at 7:18 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• My son is circumcised. I don't regret it. It's as safe as any other medical procedure. And as far as I know, it's not medically necessary.. It's really a personal decision.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 7:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2011