Getting the Belly Muscles Back in Shape Question...

I hear you aren't supposed to do crunches or outer abdominal exercises until you get the inner ones stronger or you will end up with the "pooch" What are some good inner abdominal exercises to start out with? How long should I do those before I work the outer mucscles?

Also, I'm not looking for a miracle here just 10-20 pounds and not at once (hopefully I can get back to my pre-pregnancy weight lol)

I try to eat healthy but don't always... What are some good foods for dieting. Also, occasionally I crave sweets and I always feel guilty after having them... what is a good, healthy alternative for when I do crave something sweet that won't make me pinch my bulges after I eat it?

Any help would be very appreciated!

alinker

Asked by alinker at 11:37 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• I did pilates (or attempted to) while I was pregnant. The dvd I had also had a post-natal belly work out that is designed to firm up those inner abs. It's the "10 minute Pilates Solutions pre-natal" dvd. other than that any pilates is really good for your core. My tummy gets flat with only doing pilates 2-3 days a week. good luck!
    Anonymous

• here's what I do-
    sit up straight at all times and hold your abs tight. the constant holding them tight helps tone them and suck them in. I learned it from wearing real corsets. It's really amazing how much faster your tummy will get flat if you just sit up straight and hold those muscles tight
    Anonymous

• Weight watchers. And do your crunches. If you're bound for a pooch it;'ll happen no matter what...and the sexiest woman of the modern era had one. If it's good enough for Marilyn Monroe it's good enough for the rest of us. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 11:40 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Come take the green smoothie challenge:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/greensmoothie

Green smoothies will help combat your cravings, help you lose weight and taste great.

As for your tummy muscles..running overall works the muscles to help tone. I dont know what you mean by getting a pooch if you work the wrong muscles..seems a litle bizarre to me? I just do crunches, yoga and running and have no pooch...
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:03 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• i think the pooch is the bulge between your belly button and pubic hair? is that right, i have a small one and it bugs me, i red somewhere too that eggs and broccolii will give you one.

i do alot of ab work, running, classes
    Thalie

Answer by Thalie at 8:04 PM on Dec. 16, 2008