How can I get my son to leave his penis alone? adult content

My son is 4. He spends a large part of each day pulling, yanking, and basically just exploring his penis. I know this is normal for boys, but I'm wondering how to break the habit. I have explained to him about his penis being private, that he should not touch it in public.

I went over the meaning of public and private. I remind him all day long that if he wants to do that he needs to go to his room alone. Pretty much, I spend most of the day telling him to leave it alone.

I could use some ideas on how to get him off of this.

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 7:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• One of my friends told her son that if he kept playing with his, it would fall off. If I remember correctly, it worked and he stopped playing with it as much.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 11:03 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• LOL, sorry I just really did laugh but it's because I've totally been there!! We have six kids, three of them boys. The eldest was just awful with that habit. He just seemed unnaturally attached to his winkie. He'd hold it nearly all the time. Even when he was a little baby, I had to put cloth diapers on him and I'd pin them REALLY tight trying to make it where he couldn't get his little hand in there, but he still would. Then when he was out of diapers, he was still doing it, right up until he started school at age 5. I think it was his Grandma who eventually got through to him that it's INAPPROPRIATE in PUBLIC!! I think he got to an age where he was more conscious of social nuances and it kinda clicked, but we'd been trying to get through to him for years before he stopped. Good luck, and *hugs*, I totally empathize. Sorry I don't have some more practical useful advice.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 7:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I have/had the same problem with my 3 going on 4 y/o. It went from being all the time to just when he went to the bathroom and it has slowly stopped. I think its just a phase.
    HappyMomma2832

Answer by HappyMomma2832 at 7:25 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I've heard they never outgrow the fascination! :) Actually with my 4yo I just tell him in a normal voice to keep his hands out of his pants. The less bothered by that I am the less he plays with it, but when I was getting upset about it he played with it even more.
    luvmycutebaby

Answer by luvmycutebaby at 7:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Been there. I think it is just a normal part of being a boy. If he does it in public just remind him without making a big deal about it. My cousin's son was really bad about it. She asked him one day if he liked doing that, and he replied, "no, I love it." He stopped soon after that. Good luck.
    irememberwhen59

Answer by irememberwhen59 at 7:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• My 6 yo has just started his penis holding obsession, OMG lol I asked him if he was afraid someone was going to steal it. He said no, so I told him then he doesn't need to hold it all the time.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 7:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• My 4 year old does the same, maybe not so much now. We talked to him about germs as well as it being inappropriate and he has cut back. We just remind him if we see him doing it and make him go wash his hands.

Grungalax

Answer by Grungalax at 8:18 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• My son did it from about age 10 months up to 5 years; he's 20 now and much more civilized! :D They DO outgrow it eventually! :P
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• duct tape, maybe handcuffs? lol I dunno let me know if you figure this out. I gotta go pull my boy's hand out of his pants. lol
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 7:48 PM on Jul. 3, 2011