Can bottle rot occur before a baby even has teeth?

If I let me son fall asleep with a bottle can it affect his teeth even though they aren't in yet and if I stop when they do come in?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think so, but it is allowing him to get in to the habit of only falling asleep with a bottle in his mouth. Believe me, it is a hard habit for them to break!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 11:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• yeah it can it will mess up the ends of his teeth.... plus he will get use to fallin asleep with it
    Anonymous

• It won't hurt his teeth until they actually break through the skin. And there's no way to tell when he will get teeth. Some babies are born with teeth, some turn one with no teeth.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:53 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I googled around and couldn't find anything about before the baby has teeth and bottle rot. The damage is caused by the sugars sitting on the teeth after the baby goes to sleep and the saliva slows down. So I can't see how the damage could occur before the teeth erupt. I agree with the above poster who said don't give milk to take to bed.

Answer by Bmat at 11:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I have heard and seen teeth rot before they erupted but that was a special case. Most babies fall asleep with bottles or nipples in their mouths and it is completely normal. However, my nieces front 4 teeth came in rotted when she got them but that is because her grandmother gave her TEA and let her fall asleep with that in her mouth.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:05 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• http://teethperfect.com/

Some food for thought :)
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:56 AM on Dec. 16, 2008