Is it normal for boys to be so distracted?

My 4 year old and 9 year old always seem like they are so distracted and can't hear me unless I raise my voice to them.

Do any other mother of boys feel the same way? If so what can I do to help them concentrate and listen more without raising my voice at them?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 7:18 PM on Jul. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• We've been going through the same thing, ours are 6 and 9. And I started making eye contact with them as I'm giving them instructions or speak to them, and it seems to have positive results so far. I know they are listening to me all the time, but actually hearing me is a whole nother story :) GL As hard as it is, just try not to yell, it only stresses you out.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 7:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• When you figure it out, let me know.

I have three boys, ages 10, 6 and 3. I swear they would only hear me if I put on a SpongeBob costume. LOL
    MoNKeyBoyz

Answer by MoNKeyBoyz at 7:54 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I have a four yR old and he does the same thing. I have to look him in the eye and speak to him that way In order for him to listen.I was hopeing it wasn't a form of add. Thinking about asking the Dr. Maybe u should too.
    sweety678

Answer by sweety678 at 7:56 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• YES! My five year old is the same way--I feel like I nag at him too much, but that's the only way he'll listen--grrr
    rec104

Answer by rec104 at 8:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I am in the same boat as all of you except my ds is 6.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:46 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Haa, yes. I have two. You have to say it three times OR, grab their arm, look them in the eye and speak. THEN they will hear you.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Mine is 8. Same story. Oy! Stresses me out to no end. He forgets stuff I said to him 2 mins ago or hears something completely different from what I said because he'll hear the first part and make up the ending. "Go upstairs and - (I'll say brush your teeth, he'll come down with clean hands)"
    Anonymous

• "I started making eye contact with them as I'm giving them instructions or speak to them"

We always make eye contact with them when we are talking to them

Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 7:45 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I have a 7 yr girl she pays attention to every detail and my 6 yr old ss is like a deer in the headlights
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 11:21 AM on Jul. 4, 2011