Any one else also celebrate

Festivus? It really is quite a wonderful Holiday.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• All holidays were made up at one time or another. Christmas was "made up," what, 1500 years ago (give or take). Kwanzaa was made up in the 60s. Why not celebrate it. I, personally, don't because I think it would cause more issues (my family tends to hold grudges and they wouldn't care if me telling them off was in the spirit of a holiday).
    Then again, sounds like a regular old party in my husband's family, lol. There's always eating and fighting. And wrestling when the kids are around.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:09 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• "Festivus is now a recently invented secular day of celebration for the entire family and friends. It is held annually on DEC-23 -- about half-way between the Winter Solstice and Christmas. It was apparently created in 1966-FEB by Daniel O'Keefe, of Chappaqua, NY. (b ~1928). O'Keefe, a former writer for Reader's Digest, says that the idea just popped into his head."

Why would anybody celebrate this MADE UP holiday? Just to be anti-Christmas? Makes no sense to me.
    Anonymous

• Because it is fun!!!! You get to insult family members that annoy you all year, wrestle, and eat. As dysfunctional as Americans are you think more people would embrace this delightful Holiday. My original post says "also", thus meaning in addition to celebrating another Holiday.

Anonymous

• i've never even heard of it till now
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 12:07 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My husband is a big Larry David fan and when he saw this on Seinfeld we had to do it. LOL. It has been a blast!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My dh always suggests it... he is a Christmas loathing Seinfeld fan so it's a natural jump! Hmmm... the 'airing of grievances' part doesn't sound too different from many extended family Christmas dinners I attended as a child! LOL!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:18 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• honestly, i never heard of it until seinfeld..and didn't know it was real until now.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 12:19 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Maybe in a thousand years or so there will be massive celebrations of Festivus. Justanotherjen eloquently wrote about all Holidays having a beginning. I do not see the harm in it.

Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 12:28 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• No, but it sounds pretty darn interesting...lol
    Jill42721

Answer by Jill42721 at 2:33 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• No i would not do this i'm pretty traditial kinda girl, i've done christmas all my life and more than likely gonna keep on doing it.If i want to insult my family that has me mad through out the year they just get a call and i tell them whats on my mind.But if u want to i say do what ever u like,it's up to you.anyway merry christmas, happy Festivus!
    kim168

Answer by kim168 at 9:17 AM on Dec. 16, 2008