Ah! He has a tooth! What do you use?

My 5 month old is getting a tooth and boy he is one ill little boy. What works best?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Teething tablets will help with the "crankies".
    Baby motrin or tylenol will help with the pain.
    A large variety of teething toys will help in general - soft ones, hard ones, rubbery ones, cold ones, even fabric ones.
    Don't bother with teething gel unless he falls asleep quickly at bedtime. In that case, the gel can easa this discomfort for the few minutes it takes for him to fall asleep. But be aware that it only lasts about 10 minutes.
    You can use a soft wash cloth and plain water to clean that tooth. Or you can get a finger-tip brush or baby toothbrush. If you get toothpaste, get toddler toothpaste that does NOT have flouride. He needs to be old enough to know how to spit and to not swallow it before you use regular paste - about 4 years.

As a side note, teething gel is great for getting out splinters. It numbs the skin long enough for you to get the splinter out. Keep that in mind for the coming years.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Try not to use numbing gels, they numb it so they end up not chewing on things. This makes the process a lot longer. I tried teethers but my son didn't like them. I found that putting ice in a teether/feeder work wonders. It was a great purchase if you don't have one. I also put frozen fruit in it for some flavor and a snack.

Don't forget to brush his tooth once he starts milk or has anything sweet, if not they will rot or stain. Just took mine to the dentist...lol
    LuvMybebe

Answer by LuvMybebe at 12:27 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Wow, that is very interesting about the splinters . . I will have to remember that one!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:38 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• We love the teething tablets! They are all natural & they work wonders! Also, make sure to give him a little Tylenol. The only place that I have been able to find the teething tablets is at Wal-Mart. I love them & would recommend them to anyone! Good luck!
    littleesmomma

Answer by littleesmomma at 4:57 AM on Dec. 16, 2008